Arizona opioid crisis: Potential overdoses increase in first week of July

Posted: Updated:
(Source: 3TV/ CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/ CBS 5)
Real time data on Arizona opioid crisis (Source: Arizona Department of Health Services) Real time data on Arizona opioid crisis (Source: Arizona Department of Health Services)
Opioid reports result in 661 possible overdose reports in the past month. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5) Opioid reports result in 661 possible overdose reports in the past month. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -

Real-time data collected by the Arizona Department of Health Services on opioid abuse in Arizona continues to paint an alarming picture.

AZDHS has been tracking the numbers in real time since a report on opioid overdose deaths in Arizona prompted Gov. Doug Ducey to declare a health crisis.

That report showed the number of opioid overdose death in 2016 was the highest in a decade.

The governor's declaration allowed the AZDHS to quickly develop a plan to require health providers to increase reporting on opioid-related deaths. That will allow the department to better understand how overdose deaths are happening and how to address the issue.

After completing the first week of July, reports show these numbers have continued to soar.

Since June 15, there have been about 661 possible opioid overdose reports.

[PDF: Updated Reports from June 15 - July 6]

Maricopa County still holds the highest number of opioid related deaths in the state.

There have been at least 367 deaths in the Maricopa County alone.

In Pima County, there have been 141 reported deaths and in Yuma, Pinal, Yavapai and Navajo counties, there have bee under 30 fatal reports.

[RELATED: Opioid prescriptions drop, but Arizona counties still above norm]

La Paz, Mohave, Coconino, Graham, Santa Cruz and Cochise have less than 10 reports.

[SPECIAL SECTION: Arizona Opioid Crisis]

According to the AZDHS, 60 percent of the reports are from males, the other 40 percent are from females.

In total, 8 percent of reports are deadly.

Opioid overdoses in the state are reportedly not only affecting consumers either.

[RELATED: Report: Highest opioid overdose deaths in AZ in 10 years]

From June 15 through July 6, there have been 52 reports of babies born with possible drug-related withdrawal symptoms.

These reports also show that pharmacies and medical centers are putting together hundreds of reversal kits as well.

[RELATED: Health care bill puts recovering addicts at risk]

In total, there have been 543 naloxone doses administered outside of the hospital by emergency medical services, law enforcement and others.

Similarly, there have also been 204 naloxone kits distributed to the public by pharmacies.

[MAP: Arizona Opioid death count]

[ARE THESE DRUGS IN YOUR MEDICINE CABINET? Brand and generic names for prescription opioids (PDF file)]

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.


  • Featured VideoMore>>

  • Salt River horses hit by cars prompt changes to Bush Highway

    Salt River horses hit by cars prompt changes to Bush Highway

    Sunday, May 20 2018 2:38 AM EDT2018-05-20 06:38:06 GMT
    (Source: Salt River Wild Horse Management Group)(Source: Salt River Wild Horse Management Group)

    The Maricopa County Department of Transportation has added new blinking message boards to Bush Highway warning drivers to slow down and "watch for horses."

    More >

    The Maricopa County Department of Transportation has added new blinking message boards to Bush Highway warning drivers to slow down and "watch for horses."

    More >
  • DPS trooper injured during pursuit on Loop 101

    DPS trooper injured during pursuit on Loop 101

    Saturday, May 19 2018 10:32 PM EDT2018-05-20 02:32:38 GMT
    (Source: Arizona Department of Transportation)(Source: Arizona Department of Transportation)
    (Source: Arizona Department of Transportation)(Source: Arizona Department of Transportation)

    A DPS trooper was injured during a pursuit Saturday evening on Loop 101 in Tempe, authorities said.

    More >

    A DPS trooper was injured during a pursuit Saturday evening on Loop 101 in Tempe, authorities said.

    More >
  • VIDEO: Royal Wedding, Meghan Markle's dress

    VIDEO: Royal Wedding, Meghan Markle's dress

    Meghan Markle wore a Givenchy dress for her wedding.  How long was the veil? Where did she get the tiara, and what was so special about her bouquet? (hint: Prince Harry had something to do with it)  We’ve got all the answers. [FULL STORY]

    More >

    Meghan Markle wore a Givenchy dress for her wedding.  How long was the veil? Where did she get the tiara, and what was so special about her bouquet? (hint: Prince Harry had something to do with it)  We’ve got all the answers. [FULL STORY]

    More >