Ashlee D goes back to college

Time to hit the books!

Posted: Updated:
Watching lectures online and taking notes. Watching lectures online and taking notes.
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -

I started my career in broadcasting back in 2001 after graduating from ASU with my degree in journalism.

Back then I wanted to change the world one story at a time. But after several years in the biz as an anchor, something just didn't feel right. That's when news directors from Miami to Denver to Phoenix started calling and asking me if I was interested in being a forecaster. I took it as a sign and started interviewing for every weather job I could find. When I got my first weather gig, I enrolled in school and, as they say, the rest is history.

The year 2005, the station KFSN ABC 30 Fresno, CA and the school Mississippi State University.  Classes on line allowed me to be a full-time forecaster and a full-time student. I'm not going to lie; it was hard, I didn't sleep a lot. I was working to get that much needed fancy AMS seal and certificate.

But then...

Going into my third and final year of school…it was 2008. The economy had tanked, the housing market had crashed and journalists, well, we were losing our jobs left and right. I was out of work for five months before landing a job in Las Vegas.  I started back at Mississippi State University in the spring of 2009, I took one class. And with money being so tight I had to stop.

Long story short, 8 years later I am finally going back to Mississippi State University!

With the support of my co-workers and encouragement from my family, it's time to just get this done.

I started my online classes this past week and I'm super excited. This semester I’m taking Intro to Oceanography and Weather Prediction II. In the Fall it will be Thermodynamic Meteorology and Statistical Climatology. In the Spring I’ll take Satellite & Radar Meteorology and Water Resources and Numerical Weather Prediction.

It’s going to be a tough year ahead, but finishing my degree in Meteorology is worth it.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Arizona's Family Weather BlogMore>>

Earliest mention of monsoon in Arizona

Wednesday, July 11 2018 9:29 AM EDT2018-07-11 13:29:04 GMT
    The Arizona monsoon probably got its name back in the late 40s. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)The Arizona monsoon probably got its name back in the late 40s. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

The first mention of the monsoon in Arizona occurred in the 1940s.

More >

The first mention of the monsoon in Arizona occurred in the 1940s.

More >

Fourth of July ushers in weather pattern change

Tuesday, July 3 2018 2:55 PM EDT2018-07-03 18:55:53 GMT

The Fourth of July is typically a hot and dry holiday in Arizona.  And while that will be the case this year, a big weather change is headed our way later this week.

More >

Full moon alert: Saturn and strawberry moon to brighten the night sky

Thursday, June 28 2018 8:51 AM EDT2018-06-28 12:51:38 GMT
    (Source: National Weather Service)(Source: National Weather Service)
    (Source: National Weather Service)(Source: National Weather Service)

Wednesday will be a great night for stargazers. We will have a full moon and a great view of Saturn. Saturn will be closest to the Earth on Wednesday, making it a great opportunity to view and see the planet in detail.

• Featured VideoMore>>

Hundreds of dead fish stink up Maricopa neighborhood

Tuesday, July 17 2018 10:15 AM EDT2018-07-17 14:15:13 GMT
    Hundreds of fish showed up dead at a man-made lake in a Maricopa neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Hundreds of fish showed up dead at a man-made lake in a Maricopa neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

"The whole lake was carpeted with fish," Tod Antell said.

More >

"The whole lake was carpeted with fish," Tod Antell said.

More >

Avondale couple not happy going solar

Tuesday, July 17 2018 10:15 AM EDT2018-07-17 14:15:07 GMT
    The Chavez family say they feel like they were misled. (Source: 3TV)The Chavez family say they feel like they were misled. (Source: 3TV)
    The Chavez family say they feel like they were misled. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)The Chavez family say they feel like they were misled. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

An Avondale couple says they were lied to about the benefits of going solar so they called 3 On Your Side to get out of the contract.

Former Scottsdale school district CFO under indictment breaks silence

Tuesday, July 17 2018 10:15 AM EDT2018-07-17 14:15:00 GMT
    Laura Smith has stepped down, but she and her attorney argue that we haven't heard the whole story. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Laura Smith has stepped down, but she and her attorney argue that we haven't heard the whole story. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

The former Chief Financial Officer for the Scottsdale Unified School District has been indicted on fraud and conflict of interest charges. She's accused of approving district payments to her sister's company, and not disclosing the relationship. Laura Smith has since stepped down, but she and her attorney argue that we haven't heard the whole story.