One person suffers smoke inhalation after house fire Friday

Posted: Updated:
House fire in Mesa Friday afternoon near Val Vista and McDowell. (26 May 2017) [Source: 3TV / CBS 5] House fire in Mesa Friday afternoon near Val Vista and McDowell. (26 May 2017) [Source: 3TV / CBS 5]
House fire in Mesa Friday afternoon near Val Vista and McDowell. (26 May 2017) [Source: 3TV / CBS 5] House fire in Mesa Friday afternoon near Val Vista and McDowell. (26 May 2017) [Source: 3TV / CBS 5]
MESA, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

Five people were displaced after a home in Mesa went up in flames Friday afternoon.

Mesa Fire and Medical Department spokesman Capt. Craig Chenery said fire crews arrived at the house near Val Vista and McDowell to find the fire so intense that they never made entry into the home.

Chenery said the fire began as a grease fire in the garage then quickly spread into the attic of the older shingle roofed home.

Firefighters held a defensive position around the burning home pouring on water to protect the nearby structures.

Five people were looked at on scene for smoke inhalation, said Chenery.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.