After 7 hours, hiker rescued on Camelback Mountain

Posted: Updated:
(Source: Phoenix Fire Dept.) (Source: Phoenix Fire Dept.)
(Source: Phoenix Fire Dept.) (Source: Phoenix Fire Dept.)
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

A hiker who found himself in a very precarious position had to be rescued by the Phoenix Fire Department.

This happened in the Echo Canyon area on the south side of Camelback Mountain early Saturday evening. Rescue efforts continued into the night.

After seven long hours, as many as 40 firefighters from the Phoenix Fire Department reached the man just after 1 a.m. Sunday.

"The man was sitting, unable to move from fear of falling from a small shelf where he stopped after getting off trail Saturday afternoon," Phoenix Fire Capt. Jake Van Hook said.  

The hiker apparently slid off the trail and got stuck on the side of a cliff. Firefighters estimate he fell about 400 feet below the trail.

Crews made their way up the trail and worked with the Phoenix Firebird helicopter to locate the hiker and make a plan to extract him from the mountain.

The sky had grown dark by then,

Crews made a plan to raise the hiker back up toward the trail, where additional rescuers were waiting.

The Phoenix Fire Department shared a dramatic photo with is. It's a shot of the Phoenix PD Firebird helicopter as it assisted in the rescue.

Earlier in the evening, as they were first responding to the stranded hiker, rescue crews also encountered an additional subject, a woman who was said to be experiencing emotional distress.

More crews were deployed to the scene to assist with the new situation involving the distressed hiker.  

That woman was brought safely off the mountain and taken to the hospital for evaluation. 

Fire crews say two situations were unrelated.

"All firefighters made it down safely and there were no injuries to rescuers or civilians," Van Hook said.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Social Connect

  • Contact

    AZ Family