Boy attacked by bees meets first responders who saved his life

Posted: Updated:
A Safford boy who was stung more than 400 times by bees last month got to say "thank you" to the first responders who saved his life. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5) A Safford boy who was stung more than 400 times by bees last month got to say "thank you" to the first responders who saved his life. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
Volunteer fire chief Clark Bingham swooped in to pick Andrew up and get him to safety, ignoring his own allergy to bees. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5) Volunteer fire chief Clark Bingham swooped in to pick Andrew up and get him to safety, ignoring his own allergy to bees. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
SAFFORD, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

A Safford boy who was stung more than 400 times by bees last month got to say "thank you" to the first responders who saved his life.

On Thursday night, Andrew Kunz's Boy Scout group held a barbecue for the men who came to his rescue.

"They were afraid I was going to die," Andrew told a friend at the barbecue.

It hasn’t even been two weeks since he was attacked by a swarm of Africanized bees while out shooting his BB gun with a friend.

[ORIGINAL STORY: Boy, fire chief, others stung by swarm of bees in Safford]

"You're a superhero to me, to be able to withstand what you did," Sgt. Jacob Carpenter with the Graham County Sheriff's Office told Andrew.

"I'm going give you a hug," said Deputy Justin Baughmer.

Both suffered dozens of stings trying to get to Andrew. His grandparents believe they distracted the bees, letting Andrew get out of there.

"I got a few, you've got a heck of a lot more than I do," Deputy Baughmer said, comparing stings.

Volunteer fire chief Clark Bingham swooped in to pick Andrew up and get him to safety. Not even thinking about his own allergy to bees, Bingham put on his turnout gear and rushed in. Andrew was covered in bees.

[READ MORE: Safford boy stung 400 times by Africanized bees]

"I grabbed him by the arm and the belt and said, 'Let’s get out here!'” Bingham said.

He suffered about 40 stings.

"Nauseous all day, and it was just one of those things you just get sick over it. Body is trying to deal with all the toxins," Bingham said.

Andrew should be able to go to school in a few weeks. The City of Safford plans to award Bingham a medal of valor for his efforts.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.


  • Social Connect

  • Contact

    AZ Family