The Wildlife World Zoo: Black Footed Penguin
Black Footed Penguin Facts:
- Is a medium sized endangered species found off the coast of South Africa
- Oil spills and overfishing of their food are the main reason they are now endangered
- These penguins are monogamous, the penguin pair stays together usually for many years and often move back to their old nesting sites too.
- 2 ft. Tall
- Can swim up to 30 miles a day in search of food
- They secrete oil to make themselves water proof
- their layer of blubber and dense feathers keep them warm
- Can live up to 20 years
- Their main predators are feral cats, mongoose and genets, rarely even leopards. Marine animals preying on these flightless birds are Cape fur seals, and occasionally sharks and whales further at sea
- Both male and female incubate the egg and rear the young
- Each penguin has a black stripe with black spots on their chest. These spots are just like fingerprints with no two patterns being the same.
- The unique black and white combination offers a natural camouflage to the land as well as underwater predators
The penguin feeding is at 10am & 4pm for visitors to watch.
Facebook Contest -Penguin Meet and Greet:
Do you have a LOVED one that would LOVE a meet and greet with our penguins? Like, comment why you should win tagging 3 friends and share our post for a chance to win. Tag more friends for a better chance of winning! We will choose one semifinalist a week for 3 weeks, each semifinalist will win 2 passes to the zoo. Final winner will also receive the Meet and Greet with our penguins! Good luck!
For more information, visit: https://www.facebook.com/WWZAq
The Wildlife World Zoo is located at 16501 W. Northern Ave. in Litchfield Park.
For more information on all the zoo's exciting attractions and events, call 623-935-WILD or check out their website www.wildlifeworld.com.
Military Career Event; Hundreds of Jobs Available with Arizona's Award-Winning Employers
Mark your calendars for the annual BestCompaniesAZ Military Career Event taking place Wed., Feb. 22, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., at North Phoenix Baptist Church Conference Center, 5757 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, AZ, 85012. Attendance is free. Advanced registration is required at https://2017militarycareerevent.eventbrite.com.
The hiring and networking event is open to all military active, retired, reservists -- as well as their spouses and significant others.
Visit www.bestcompaniesaz.com for the registration link, event details, hiring companies, open positions and on-site resources.
Local Love: Los Muertos Salsa
Anthony Perez owner of Los Muertos Salsa started at the Farmers Markets about 2 yrs. ago. Los Muertos Salsa now is in Farmers Markets all over Arizona. Here in the valley you can catch them at the Uptown Farmers Market, Phoenix Public Market, Old Town Scottsdale Farmers Market, Mammas Organic, Sun City and Cave Creek Farmers Market. You can also find them up North during the summer Months in Sedona and the Flagstaff Markets. There are also a few restaurants around the state that use the salsa for breakfast and brunch items.
The thing that sets Los Muertos Salsa apart from any other salsa in Arizona is that it is made fresh every single week for the markets and only uses the freshest ingredients. Also Anthony uses local farmers produce depending on what is in season. Usually the peppers and cilantro are local. Los Muertos also loves to collaborate with local market vendors to create new salsas.
Los Muertos Salsa has many flavors to choose from, Mild, Hot, Effen Hot, Green tomatillo, Pichuberry, Sunflower salsa and Bean and Corn.
Check out http://losmuertossalsa.com/ or follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to see what markets they are in each week.
Margarita Day-Los Sombreros
Today is National Margarita Day. Celebrate the day at Los Sombreros.
For more information, visit: www.lossombreros.com
For more information on Margarita Day: http://nationalmargaritaday.com/
2534 N. Scottsdale Road
Spring Break: Smitholator Cookie Shop
Smitholator Cookie Shop specializes in cookies decorated with royal icing. We love to teach others how to use royal icing. We host weekly cookie decorating workshops as well as private cookie decorating parties.
Offering kids workshops throughout March just in time for Spring Break.
For more information: www.smitholator.com
Smitholator Cookie Shop
124 W. Main St, Mesa, AZ
- Tickets are required to attend workshops and must be purchased in advance. See EVENTS page on website for workshop info and link to purchase tickets.
Good Sam RV Super Show
The inaugural Good Sam RV Super Show allows attendees the opportunity to shop hundreds of towable and motorized RVs from the top manufacturers. You're sure to find the RV of your dreams in time for your next outdoor adventure, all in one place. This event is sold out for dry camping for RVers, but daily passes are available for non-camping customers.
Fun community events include fireworks, live music, kids event like carnival rides and a petting zoo, the Good Sam BBQ Showdown competition on Saturday and Sunday, and more.
The show runs from Feb. 23 - 26, and daily admission rates are only $10, with free admission for kids under 13.
For more information, visit: http://www.goodsamrvshow.com/
General Admission Daily Passes: $10pp, children under 13 free.
Daily Dry Camping Parking Early Bird Rate (until Feb. 22): $25/night or $79.95 for all four nights.
Good Sam Club Member Rates: Members receive special pricing for camping, parking and admission when they present their active membership card.
Full pricing information can be found at www.goodsamrvshow.com/registration
Phoenix International Raceway, 7602 S Avondale Blvd., Avondale, 85353
Daphne Munro The Smart Shopper: Useful Life hacks to save time and money
- Keep ear buds keep them untangled by using a binder clip
- Keep bananas fresh for about two weeks by wrapping the ends with tape or plastic wrap
- Make your own homemade carpet cleaning with baking soda and lavender
- Use Witch Hazel to help reduce acne and blemishes on face instead of buying expense over the counter stuff