Meet a Caiman Crocodile from the Wildlife World Zoo
Caiman Crocodiles are found in Central and South America, and are endangered due to habitat loss and poaching. Kristy Morcom of the Wildlife World Zoo joins us with this little guy, and talk about a new Facebook contest where you could win two free zoo tickets and a meet-n-greet with their loveable penguins.
Spectacled Caiman Facts:
- Found in Central and South America
- The spectacled caiman is a Small and medium-sized crocodilian.
- Caiman's body is covered with hard scales that act like an armor.
- Caiman has a narrow snout (that is wide at the base) and bony ridges above its large eyes.
- They have excellent sense of hearing and eyesight.
- Caiman has strong molar teeth which are designed for crushing of the food.
- Young caimans eat insects.
- Caimans are important in their native habitats because they keep number of animals (their prey) under control.
- Caimans are nocturnal animals
- Just like other reptiles, caimans spend most of the day basking in the sun.
- Caimans have few natural predators because of their size and aggressive temper.
- Caimans are well adapted to the life in water. They can swim at speed of 30 miles per hour.
- Caimans are solitary creatures that gather only during the mating season.
- Female builds a mound in the ground (usually 5 feet wide) and lays up to 65 eggs. She guards the nest during the period of 6 weeks and waits for eggs to hatch.
- Temperature of the nest determines the gender of the baby.
- Caimans have long lifespan. They can survive 30 to 40 years in the wild and up to 60 years in captivity.
The Wild World Zoo is starting a Facebook Contest tomorrow for Penguin Meet and Greet:
Do you have a LOVED one that would LOVE a meet and greet with our penguins? Like, comment why you should win tagging 3 friends and share our post for a chance to win. Tag more friends for a better chance of winning! We will choose one semifinalist a week for 3 weeks, each semifinalist will win 2 passes to the zoo. Final winner will also receive the Meet and Greet with our penguins! Good luck!
For more information, visit: https://www.facebook.com/WWZAq
The Wildlife World Zoo is located at 16501 W. Northern Ave. in Litchfield Park.
For more information on all the zoo's exciting attractions and events, call 623-935-WILD or check out their website www.wildlifeworld.com.
Singles Awareness Day Adoption Promotion-WAIVED Adoption Fees
Humans aren't the only ones looking for love this month there are hundreds of homeless pets at Maricopa County Animal Care & Control (MCACC) shelters who are searching for a loving family. If you didn't celebrate Valentine's Day because you are still looking for the love of your life, chances are he or she may be waiting for you at MCACC! On Wednesday, February 15th (Singles Awareness Day), all dogs and cats will have WAIVED adoption fees from 6pm to 8pm at both MCACC shelter locations.
For more information, visit: https://twitter.com/MCanimalcare and http://www.maricopa.gov/3560/Animal-Care-and-Control
Wednesday, February 15th 6pm to 8pm
MCACC West (2500 S. 27th Ave, Phoenix)
MCACC East (2630 W. Rio Salado Pkwy, Mesa)
Learn to build your own cupcake stand
This Thursday at every Home Depot in Arizona, you can learn to build a cupcake stand. We'll be demonstrating how to use carpenter's tools and precut wood corbels to fashion a beautiful cupcake stand. And, when it's all done, impress your family and friends with your do-it-yourself know-how.
For more information: http://workshops.homedepot.com/workshops/do-it-herself-workshops
Local Love: My Slice of the Pie Pizzeria
After 5 years of managing a family restaurant America's Taco Shop, Randy Bortin rolled the dice, sold his house and went all in with My Slice of the Pie Pizzeria. Randy collaborated with a longtime friend Josh Mason to create the foundation of great NY style pizza, great dough and great sauce. Heavily influence by the teachings of America Correles Bortin, Randy infused her style of cooking into pizza. And from this point forward it became "Where NY meets the Southwest"
My Slice of the Pie Pizzeria
3724 E. Indian School Rd. Phoenix, AZ 85018
Chandler students go through new "Life Changing Experience"
Students at Chandler Unified are the first in Arizona to go through a new program, called "Life Changing Experience," which uses multi-sensory 3-D technology to teach young people and help change attitudes. Created by a filmmaker and a group of entrepreneurs from Israel, the program is intended to reach teens on important issues such as bullying, drug prevention and safe driving.
For more information: http://lifechangingex.org
Vivica Fox's "Black Magic" star reveals his eat-well secrets
Get ready ladies, you're about to experience "The Beck Affect." With 237K followers on Instagram, Steven Beck is the well-known "Charm" on Vivica Fox's new hit reality show, "Black Magic," airing on Lifetime. But, what a lot of people don't know, is this exotic dancer is from Arizona and works really hard to get those rock-hard abs. Steven Beck is here with his sugar and salt-free eating on-the-go meal plan, advice on staying active, and the do's and don'ts of eating clean.
For more information: www.Instagram.com/TheStevenBeck and http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/vivicas-black-magic/cast/vivica-a-fox
We go behind-the-scenes at the world famous Bronx Zoo
For the first time, Animal Planet takes audiences behind-the-scenes of the legendary Bronx Zoo, a New York institution and global leader in animal care, to highlight the importance of wildlife and conservation in the breakthrough new series, "The Zoo." With full access to the Bronx Zoo's 265-acre campus, Animal Planet shines a light on a spectacular world of more than 6,000 animals and the 500-plus people dedicated to their care and well-being. The Zoo Premieres on Animal Planet Sat., Feb. 18th at 10pm ET/PT.
For more information: www.animalplanet.com
Bootcamp for the brides-to-be
Brides-to-be want to look their absolute best on their wedding day and that preparation starts right after their guy pops the question. We are getting tips from fitness and health expert Felicia Romero about specific exercises brides should do to tone up, and trim down.
Upper Body Exercises for Arms and Back
1. Shoulder presses - 3 sets of 20 reps
2. Lat pull down or bent over row - 3 sets of 15
3. Dips and triceps extensions - 3 sets of 25
4. Push-ups- 5 sets of 10
5. DB Side lateral and front raises- 3 sets of 20
These exercises are great to tone arms and back - especially when wearing a strapless dress or when revealing the upper body.
1. Lunges - alternating walking lunge holding db's- 3 sets of 20/leg
2. Jump squat- 3 sets of 20
3. Donkey kicks - 3 sets of 20/leg
4. Step ups- 3 sets of 15 /leg
5. Fire hydrants w band - 3 sets of 25
All these exercises great for leg shaping and toning--- especially the booty.
High Intensity for fat Loss
1. Pop squats - 3 sets of 30 sec
2. Burpees- 3 sets of 30 sec
3. Jumping jacks- 3 sets of 30 sec
4. Sprints - 5 sets of 30 sec
Cool down in between for 10 sec
This will help to burn fat faster when paired w the exercises above!
For more information, visit: http://frfitmethod.com/
Address: 263 E Warner Rd #103, Gilbert, AZ 85296
Phone: (844) 269-5354
Meet the 2017 Zero Motorcycle kicking up dirt with police departments
Soon, you might be seeing your local police departments making more green efforts, and they've already started in Paradise Valley, with all new electric motorcycles. Meet the 2017 ZERO Motorcycle, it's a new breed of electric bike aiming to win over die-hard fans. There's no rumbling engine here, but it's said to have tons of torque, power and other benefits for police departments and the average commuter. Logan Roberts of Grand Canyon Harley-Davidson, just outfitted Paradise Valley PD with their first all-electric fleet, and he says more cities will soon do the same.
For more information: http://www.grandcanyonhd.com/