The Wildlife World Zoo/ Baby Thompsons Gazelle
Thompsons Gazelle Facts:
- There are over 500,000 in Africa and are recognized as the most common type of gazelle in East Africa.
- There numbers have decreased 60% over the past 20 years due to habitat management.
- It is the second fastest animal on earth.
- Thomson's gazelle is relatively small and can range 3355 lbs.
- Both sexes possess horns, that curve slightly backward with the tips facing forward. The horns are rigid and 9.816.9 in on males and 2.85.9 in on females.
- The Thomson's gazelle lives in Africa's savannas and grassland habitats
- In the wild, Thomson's gazelles can live 1015 years.
- Their major predators are cheetahs, which are able to attain higher speeds, but gazelles can outlast them in long chases and are able to make turns more speedily.
- This small antelope-gazelle can run extremely fast, from 50 mph-60 mph and zigzag, which often saves it from predators. Sometimes they are also chased by leopards, lions and hyenas, but the gazelles are faster and more agile; these predators attack especially the young or infirm individuals.
- They can also be devoured by crocodiles and pythons, and their fawns are sometimes the prey of eagles, jackals, and baboons.
- A noticeable behavior of Thomson's gazelles is their leap, known as pronking, used to startle predators and display strength.
The Wildlife World Zoo is located at 16501 W. Northern Ave. in Litchfield Park.
For more information on all the zoo's exciting attractions and events, call 623-935-WILD or check out their website www.wildlifeworld.com.
Chase Job Fair
Chase has more than 300 job openings in the Tempe area for experienced and inexperienced individuals. The job fair will be held on Feb. 1 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Chase Centerpoint Operations Center, 100 W. University Drive, Tempe.
The financial institution is hiring for positions that include specialist call center jobs in customer service, collections, merchant services, fraud, and new client engagement. Candidates who have held jobs helping customers face-to-face are encouraged to apply. Previous call center experience is not required and bilingual individuals are encouraged to apply.
Job candidates may find more information by applying to job #160128541 at www.chase.com/careers.
- Participants will have the opportunity to learn about careers in Chase's Consumer & Community Banking division available in the Tempe area.
- Parking will be available in the garage at 720 S. Ash Ave., which is on the west side of Ash. An attendant will be onsite to offer assistance.
Jaime's Local Love: Paige Poppe
A local Arizona artist, Paige is primarily a painter and her subject matter is the Arizona landscape and desert botanicals that we are surrounded with here in the Valley. Paige is known for adding a fresh twist to her work by painting the plants, mountain ranges, and sunsets in technicolor.
For more information, visit: www.PaigePoppe.com
Uptown Farmer's Market celebrates 2nd anniversary
Raimondo's no carb lasagna is only one of the vendors who make the market what it is today. The market runs Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
For more information, visit: www.UptownMarketAZ.com
Uptown Farmers Market
5757 North Central Avenue, Phoenix AZ 85012
Saturday: 9a-1p; Wednesday: 9a-1p
People of all ages and abilities can experience the sensation of skydiving in a safe, comfortable and fun environment without having to jump out of an airplane.
All flight packages include training, flight gear and flight time with an International Bodyflight Association (IBA) certified instructor
How to keep your weight loss goals at your Super Bowl party
Master Nutritionist Christina Jordan has some healthy alternatives to our traditional unhealthy junk food at parties and also shows us how to make the Super Bowl into a fun fitness game you and your whole family can enjoy it.
Trade out unhealthy snacks: -Trade chips and dip for veggies and hummus and fruit tray
-Trade Regular hot wings for healthy Buffalo chicken sliders
-Trade Tacos for healthy lettuce wrapped tacos
Cake Doll Arizona designs a Falcons Vs Patriots cake
Along with all the other gourmet meals she prepares, our food blogger Heather Walker is now starting to make delicious desserts by the dozen. Heather joins us with her new custom cake business called, Cake Doll Arizona, and gives us lessons on how to make the perfect cake for your Superbowl weekend, that'll really impress your friends, whether they are Falcons or Patriots fans.
For more information,visit: www.cakedollarizona.com
Students join the Governor to Walk On for healthier living
Governor Ducey has recognized February 1st "Walk On! Day." The goal of Walk On! Day is to get students and teachers excited about participating in Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona's month-long health education program that is free to schools and takes place in February. The principles of the Walk On! Challenge's 5-2-1-0 goal. The goals include encouraging participants to eat 5 fruits and veggies a day, spend 2 hours a day or less of screen time, get 1 hour of physical activity every day and consume 0 sugary drinks.
For more information, visit: http://walkonaz.com/walk-on-challenge-for-teachers/
Follow BCBSAZ at www.facebook.com/bcbsaz or on Twitter at @bcbsaz to get information on health and wellness.
Celebs golf at Waste Management Phoenix Open Pro-Am
Actor and producer Mark Wahlberg, former NFL and MLB All-Star and Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson, and Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time, are among the early list of star-studded celebrities from the sports and entertainment world who will be playing in the Annexus Pro-Am at the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
For more information on tickets and the event, visit: visit www.wmphoenixopen.com.
Valley tennis star Bethanie Mattek-Sands back from Australia wins
The tennis player, who won a gold medal in Rio for mixed doubles just returned from Australia where she won two titles: World #1 in doubles and 6th grand slam title at the Australian Open.
For more information, visit her website: http://bmattek.com/