UPDATE

Fire at Avondale apartment complex displaces 3

Posted: Updated:
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
AVONDALE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

Three people are looking for a place to stay after an early morning fire at a quadruplex in Avondale.

It started at about 3 a.m. near Van Buren Street and Central Avenue.

Early reports from firefighters were that 10 people had been displaced. The building manager later revised that number to three.

The resident of the apartment where the fire started was not home at the time. The fire gutted her unit.

Video from the scene showed massive damage to the wall of the building. Aerial video showed a huge hole in the roof.

[RAW VIDEO: From the Penguin Air and Plumbing News Chopper]

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and flames, but were able to get control of the fire relatively quickly.

Neighboring apartments sustained water damage.

One of those residents said she woke up coughing, but chalked it up to allergies and went back to bed – at least until a neighbor began banging on her door.

“We weren’t waking up. We weren’t budging. … We were sleeping,” she said. “When I opened up my front door …, smoke just engulfed the whole entire place.”

Investigators have not determined what sparked the fire.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.


  • Social Connect

  • Contact

    AZ Family