Wednesday, January 11Posted: Updated:
The Wildlife World Zoo: Pancake Tortoise
Pancake Tortoise Facts:
- The pancake tortoise is unusual not just because of its namesake flattened appearance. It has the unusual habit of running away from predators. Unlike most other tortoises, pancake tortoises are quite quick and agile. They can "dart" to rocky hideouts to escape danger rather than tucking into their shells.
- The pancake tortoise is most easily identified by its unusually flattened profile. Unlike all other tortoises, which possess domed shells, the pancake tortoise has only a slightly curved upper shell.
- Can reach a length of about 7 inches, but they rarely are more than an inch and a half in height.
- While the shell bones of most other tortoises are solid, the pancake tortoise has shell bones with many openings, making it lighter and more agile than other tortoises.
- Native to Kenya and Tanzania
- Pancake tortoises rely heavily on the shelter of rocky crevasses and therefore do not tend to migrate far from where they were born.
- Pancake tortoises are mainly active in the mornings, basking and feeding on dried grasses and whatever vegetation is available in the arid savannah.
- Females lay eggs one or two at a time every six weeks throughout the season. Eggs can take four to six months to hatch.
- Their relatively low reproductive capacity, combined with habitat loss and the tortoise's high demand in the collector pet trade, has led to a drop in their numbers in the wild and cause them to now be listed as Vulnerable.
- An effort to protect their numbers has made it illegal to import wild-caught tortoises.
The Wildlife World Zoo is located at 16501 W. Northern Ave. in Litchfield Park.
For more information on all the zoo's exciting attractions and events, call 623-935-WILD or check out their website www.wildlifeworld.com.
New TV series asks if O.J. is innocent
"Is O.J. Innocent? The Missing Evidence" is a new series on the Investigation Discovery channel that challenges everything you think you know about the O.J. Simpson trial as investigators re-open the case that captivated the world more than 20 years ago. We talk to Detective Derrick Levasseur about the case, compelling new information and new theories. "Is O.J. Innocent? The Missing Evidence" premieres Sun., Jan. 15 at 9PM (ET/PT)
For more information: http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/is-oj-innocent-the-missing-evidence/
Five foods that will help you boost your metabolism
It doesn't matter how many exercises you do if your metabolism isn't working properly. We catch up with fitness expert Felicia Romero to learn about five different types of foods that can help your metabolism rev up.
1. caffeine, green tea. burn 25% more calories throughout the day. green tea is better than coffee because you get antioxidants.
2. spicy foods. they heat up our body. you’re creating your own thermogenic machine from within.
3. protein. think about balancing your insulin levels out. keep yourself full through throughout the day. eating 5-6 small meals a day
4. whole grains, add proper portion sizes throughout the day.
5. citrus. vitamin c helps boost metabolism and helps immune system
For more information: http://frfitmethod.com/
Carlos Mencia to perform at Tempe Improv
Mencia is best known as the host of the Comedy Central show "Mind of Mencia" for four seasons. See him at the Tempe Improv Friday through Sunday.
For ticket information, visit: http://tempeimprov.com/
930 E University Dr
Exercises to boost your metabolism and keep you burning calories throughout the day
Doing the right exercises can help rev your metabolism and keep your body burning calories throughout the day. Here are some suggestions from fitness expert Felicia Romero
1. Work upper body and lower body together. This gets the heartrate up...like a HIIT cycle.
2. Burpees. Like them or hate them, they work.
3. Sprinting works. Lean muscles, strong legs.
20-30 second sprint, 10 second rest
4. Add weights when you can. Muscle work will burn calories throughout the day, after your heart rate has slowed to normal range. Resistance training is better than cardio-- more bang for your buck.
For more information: http://frfitmethod.com/
Turn your favorite meals into quick soups & stews
No time for your favorite home-made meals during the week? No problem. Turn a few of them into a quick soup or stew, such as green chile chicken enchilada soup or how about sausage lasagna soup, all done in a crock pot. We’ll learn how to make these and more with Phoenix Family Foodie blogger Heather Walker.
For more information: www.phoenixfamilyfoodie.com
Mariposa Chef Lisa Dahl
Celebrated Sedona Chef Lisa Dahl has devoted 20 years to creating Sedona's fine dining scene with four incredibly successful restaurants, including her newest Mariposa. Next week, she is heading to New York City to cook at the prestigious James Beard House an honor reserved for only the top chefs in the world. She's giving us a preview of some of dishes she will be coking, including lentil walnut croquettes.
Dahl Restaurant Group
For more information on Chef Dahl's upcoming James Beard House appearance, visit
For more information: http://www.crunch50.com/
13240 North 7th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85022
Phone: (602) 892-5217