Monday, December 19Posted: Updated:
Need to spruce up your home before your holiday guests arrive? Redesign by Goodwill has some tips that can help!
They already have bedrooms set up, so we could fresh up with some of these things:
- Shop the home decor section and get some silver pieces that could be used in the room to hold jewelry for your guest or soap in the bathroom.
- Bring in red and white pieces to accent the room and make it feel like the holidays.
- Purchase a small Christmas tree or some garland to decorate the room and make it feel cozy.
- Look for holiday throw pillows to use on the bedroom or a side chair in the room.
- Bring in picture frames and candles as decor pieces
There is a Redesign at the 101 and Thunderbird in Peoria.
For more information visit: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ReDesign-By-Goodwill/527936307217419
Address: 8679 W Ludlow Dr, Peoria, AZ 85381
Phone: (623) 776-9045
Motivation Monday: Get in shape with Pure Barre with 5 exercises to take on the road
They say Pure Barre is the fastest and most effective way to change your body. We put his work out to the test and get motivated for this Motivation Monday
If you're traveling for the holidays, your workout doesn't have to suffer. You can still keep your body in shape with 5 moves you can take on the road with you, and do anywhere.
5 Pure Barre Moves You Can Take On The Road
With the temperatures dropping and the holidays right around the corner, what better way to take a break from your busy schedule than with a few of your favorite Pure Barre moves! Weather pending, you could warm up with a quick walk or run outside or pop into your hotel gym before trying out these five moves.
Lie flat on your back. Extend arms overhead. Legs zipped together. Toes pointed.
Roll up 4 counts.
Lower down 4 counts.
Roll up 4 counts, hold at the top, extend your arms forward, legs straight or bent in a table top position. Hold for 10 seconds.
Come to your forearms. Feet hip width apart parallel. Pull your abs in. Be sure to keep your neck in line with your spine.
Float your right foot off the floor, point your toes, hold for 30 seconds.
Float your left foot off the floor, point your toes, hold for 30 seconds.
Place both feet on the floor. Press heels back for 30 seconds.
Push up to straight arm plank with your hands slightly wider than your shoulders, a soft bend in arms and your feet hip width apart parallel.
Draw your right knee in towards your chest, hold for 20 seconds.
Draw your left knee in towards your chest, hold for 20 seconds.
Place both feet on the floor, hold straight arm plank for 20 seconds.
Come to your knees. Hands slightly wider than your shoulders. Feet towards the seat, point your toes. Pull your abs in.
Lower the chest to the floor and press up to straight arms 10x.
Hold at lowest point. Isometric hold 10 seconds.
Come to a full body plank position. Hands stay slightly wider than your shoulders. Arms bend, then press to straight arms 10x.
Lower the knees to the floor, hands directly beneath your shoulder, feet towards the seat. Arms bend, then press to straight arms 10x.
Tops of Thighs
Come to kneeling. Thighs are one fist distance apart. Lift your seat to hover your heels. Shoulders stacked over your hips. Pull your abs in.
Tuck right 20x.
Tuck left 20x.
Tuck side to side 20x.
Arms forward, isometric hold for thighs. Arms lift and lower 20x.
Arms forward, tuck center 10x.
Base of the Seat
Come to all fours. Hands slightly wider than shoulders. Extend right leg behind you. Bring heel towards your seat and point your toes. Pull your abs in. Tuck your hips under.
Leg lowers slow, then presses back up slow 20x.
Leg lowers, then lifts (a little quicker) 20x.
Hold the leg up, flex the foot, press uphold. Press uphold. 20x.
Press tempo (a little quicker) 20x.
Extend leg straight, point toes, lift uphold 20x.
Lift tempo (a little quicker) 20x.
Repeat 1-7 on the left side.
Once you get to your holiday destination, be sure to check this list of our 400+ Pure Barre studios. Pop in and meet more of the Pure Barre family!
For more information: www.purebarre.com
10050 N. Scottsdale Rd. Suite #107--behind CVS & California Pizza Kitchen
Scottsdale Rd. South of Shea
How to deal with Seasonal Affective Disorder
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that comes and goes with the seasons, typically starting in the late fall and early winter and goes away during the spring and summer. Dr. Thompson guides us through the disorder that affects more women than men.
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that comes and goes with the seasons, typically starting in the late fall and early winter and goes away during the spring and summer.
Depressive episodes linked to the summer can occur, but are much more rare
Who gets SAD?
- Women are diagnosed four times more often than men
- People who have a mood-disorder, depression or bipolar disorder
- The symptoms of depression may worsen with the seasons if you have one of these conditions (but SAD is diagnosed only if seasonal depressions are the most common).
- People who live far from the equator
- SAD is more frequent in people who live far north or south of the equator. (For example, 1% of those who live in Florida and 9% of those who live in New England or Alaska suffer from SAD.)
- People with a family history of other types of depression are more likely to develop SAD than people who do not have a family history of depression.
- Younger adults have a higher risk of SAD than older adults. It has been reported even in children and teens.
The causes of SAD are unknown, but research has found some clues:
- People with SAD may have trouble regulating one of the key neurotransmitters involved in mood serotonin.
- People with SAD may overproduce the hormone melatonin. Melatonin regulates sleep and darkness can increase production. As winter days become shorter, melatonin production increases, leaving people with SAD to feel sleepier and more lethargic, often with delayed circadian rhythms.
- People with SAD also may produce less Vitamin D. Vitamin D is believed to play a role in serotonin activity. Vitamin D insufficiency may be associated with clinically significant depression symptoms.
Signs and Symptoms of SAD
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is not considered as a separate disorder.
- A formal diagnosis SAD requires diagnosis of major depression and symptoms coinciding with specific seasons for at least 2 years.
- Seasonal depressions must be much more frequent than any non-seasonal depressions.
Symptoms of Major Depression
- Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
- Feeling hopeless or worthless
- Having low energy
- Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Having problems with sleep
- Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
- Feeling sluggish or agitated
- Having difficulty concentrating
- Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide
Symptoms of the Winter Pattern of SAD include:
- Having low energy
- Weight gain
- Craving for carbohydrates
- Social withdrawal (feel like "hibernating")
Treatment and Therapies
There are four major types of treatment for SAD. These may be used alone or in combination.
- Light therapy
- Vitamin D
Central Phoenix Obstetrics and Gynecology
926 East McDowell Road, #134, Phoenix, AZ 85006
Queen of Clean/ Last minute holiday cleaning help
The Queen of Clean offers her quick, last minute help to get you cleanly through the holiday. From the best spotter to have on hand. to wiping up candle wax, to eliminating the odors of the season, the Queen's got you covered.
Best spotter to have on hand is club soda. Safe for anything that you can put water on, it is a fantastic emergency spotter. Pour it on to spills, things like coffee, pop, wine, anything, it can't hurt! The salts keep the spot from staining and the carbonation lifts it so you can blot it up.
RED WINE SPILL
Don't panic. If you serve red wine, serve white wine too. For a red wine spill pour white wine on it and blot thoroughly. Continue until no red is being removed. White wine keeps red wine from staining.
On candle sticks, put them in a bag in the freezer. Freeze 24 hours, remove and immediately pop the wax off with a dull straight edge. Great product to have on hand for wax residue, Wiemans Wax Away. Google for a store location.
Candle wax on hard surfaces is no problem. Point your blow dryer on HOT and HIGH at the edge of the spot. Heat and use a dull straight edge to pop it right off. It basically blows right off. Rub with a little petroleum jelly and then buff on wood.
Lay out used wrapping paper and press with medium iron to remove wrinkles. Pull ribbon through a warm curling iron to straighten and you are good to go.
SMELLS OF THE SEASON
To freshen home odors before guests, arrive, put a pan of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add cinnamon and cloves to it and let it simmer.
STAINS ON WHITE TABLECLOTHS
Drop a couple of denture cleaning tablets into a cup of warm water. Saturate stain and let it soak for 30 minutes, launder as usual. Buy denture cleaning tablets at the $$$ store. They are great to use for cleaning the toilet bowl. Drop a couple in and swish and flush.
WRINKLED TABLE LINENS
Toss in the dryer with a few ice cubes for 10 minutes. Remove immediately.
Moisten a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe them down. They will look like new.
RED WINE STAINS ON TABLE LINEN
Grab the salt shaker. If red wine is spilled during the celebration cover it with salt. It will absorb the spill and keep it from staining. Pretreat and launder after dinner.
For more information, visit Linda's website and Facebook page.
Last minute gifts and stocking stuffers
With just one week left until Christmas, if you've still got some shopping to do, we've got the best last minute gifts and stocking stuffers to round out your shopping list. The Toy Insider Mom, Laurie Schacht, is here to help with her top picks. This year's list, featuring 275 toys in Family Circle magazine, is the biggest ever.
For more information: http://www.thetoyinsider.com/
Holiday breakfast for the kids is full of cheer
Get creative for breakfast this holiday, especially for the kids, or young at heart. Sassy's Cafe & Bakery brings adorable ideas, that might be too good to eat.
For more information: http://sassyscafe.com/
Sassy's Café and Bakery
4210 E. Main St.
Mesa AZ 85213
7 AM - 5 PM
Open Christmas Eve until 1 p.m.
Open December 27- 31 from 7 a.m. till 5 p.m.
Breakfast served all day!
Sarah Vanell wows with her vocals
Sarah Vanell, a 32-year-old Arizona native, has been performing in the Valley for the past 15 years. You can catch her at one of her regular gigs or hire her for your own party.
You can see Sarah perform at a variety of venues throughout the Valley:
- Marriott at McDowell Mountain every other Tuesday from 5-8pm
- Vincitorio's in Tempe every Wednesday from 6-8:30pm
- Vintage 95 in Chandler every Thursday from 6:30-9:30pm
Visit: www.SarahVanell.com for more information.