Tuesday, December 13Posted: Updated:
Phoenix VA Leaders Host Veterans Town Hall
Phoenix VA Health Care System Director RimaAnn Nelson and Phoenix VA Regional Office Director Chris Norton to host Veterans Town Hall on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 11:30 a.m.
Veterans and families are welcome, encouraged to attend. VA leaders and benefits counselors will be available to help answer specific questions.
Veteran Town Hall to take place in the basement conference room of the Ambulatory Care Center (ACC).
For more information, visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/149225648889227/
Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center
650 E. Indian School Rd.
Phoenix, Arizona 85012
"Tie One On For Safety" during the Holidays
Desert Car Care of Chandler and MADD want to remind folks to "Tie One On For Safety," and avoid drinking and driving during the holidays. Today's event is dedicated to fallen Chandler Police Officer, David Payne, who was killed three years ago by a drunk driver.
From December 13 through December 31, come to Desert Car Care Center and sign the Pledge to Drive Sober and receive a "Tie One On For Safety" MADD decal, a free set of windshield wiper blades* and a voucher for 20% off any repair or service up to $100.00 through January 31, 2017. *contoured wiper blades extra.
For more information, call 480-726-6400 or visit www.desertcarcare.com.
Desert Car Care of Chandler
95 North Dobson Road
Chandler southeast corner of Dobson and Chandler Blvd.
Hot holiday hair trends from day to night and Glitter and sparkle "make-up" your holiday look
For your holiday party, pull your whole look together with the hottest hair trends. We go to Ohana Salon to learn what's trending in hair styles for this year, in terms of color, extensions and changing your look from day to night with ease.
Glitter is not limited to just your holiday decorations. Go big and bold with your holiday make-up this year with lots of deep color, glitter and sparkle. We learn how to it's done at Ohana Salon in Scottsdale.
For more information, visit: http://www.ohanasalonaz.com/
6870 E 5th Ave, Scottsdale, AZ
Cross Streets: Goldwater/Indian School
Tel: (480) 945-2711
Christmas carolers from Horizon High School
The performers from Vocal Ease are all 15-18 years old and are preparing to bring their holiday sounds to the community! They are for hire all December long and the money they earn will go toward their tours.
For more information, visit: http://www.horizonchoirs.com/
Joanie Simon: Christmas Roast on a Budget and Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Christmas Roast on a Budget:
- A big roast beef is a favorite for holiday dinner tables, but can be very expensive. Standing rib roast or rack of lamb can both run $12-$15/lb.
- Eye of round roast is only $5 per pound and if you know how to prep it, can be just as impressive.
- Eye of round roast is a lean cut of beef, from the hind end and hardworking muscles of the cow, so they can get dry and rubbery if cooked too quickly or to too high of temps.
- The best part of this recipe is that after you sear the meat, you stick it in the oven, turn off the oven and let it do its thing until it gets to 125F. No peeking while it cooks!!!
Overnight Breakfast Casserole:
- I made this recipe for Christmas morning last year and couldn't stop eating it. So comforting and it cooks overnight.
- Layer all of the ingredients in the Crock Pot the night before, then set to "low" for 6 to 8 hours.
- 1 (30 oz) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped
½ lb sausage
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 green onions
1 red pepper diced
1 can diced green chiles
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- This recipe does make a ton of food, so if you've got a crowd coming, you'll be set. If not, it makes great leftovers, or can be made as a half batch easily.
Take a trip back in time for a magical holiday
Are all your party ideas stale and cliché? Perhaps you need a trip back in time with Ollie the Trolley. A trolley ride is that rare trip forward to your destination and backward, to days long past. We hang out with local owner Margaret Dunn, and talk about the growing popularity of taking a trolley ride for the holidays.
For more information: http://dunntransportation.com/
Safe Holiday Drinking: Myths and Facts
Holiday Myths & Facts for drinking:
- The more you eat and drink water the soberer you will be: Fact though food can slightly slow the absorption rate of alcohol, it does nothing to the levels in your system
- Coffee will wake me up enough to Drive: Fact - only time will rid your body of alcohol, caffeine in coffee will make you jittery but cannot keep you awake
- If I just drink beer and avoid the hard stuff I'll be okay to drive: Fact - alcohol is Alcohol a 12 oz. beer has as much alcohol as 1.5 oz. of whiskey or 5oz of wine.
- I'm big I can handle more alcohol: Fact - the first alcoholic drink starts to slow your motor skills, vision is blurred and judgment is affected. Although body size does figure in. there are other things to factor in, like how much rest you've had, when you last ate, which makes this a very complicated calculation when making the decision to drive or not, and remember your judgment is already compromised
- When I've been drinking I compensate by driving slow: Fact Drinking and driving is not safe and driving slow can make you a traffic hazard.
Holiday Entertainment Plan- Make sure your guests have a DUI-free party
- When sending out invitations and you know you will be serving alcohol, encourage guest to designate a sober driver in advice. Have the sober drivers sign a no alcohol pledge at the door. Make it fun and give the sober driver a gift that reminds them of their commitment.
- Create an Uber ride code for your party to share with guest, put out signup sheets for people to indicate when they will be leaving and what city they heading to, so they can share the ride.
- Provide plenty of non-alcohol drinks
- Stop serving alcohol at a pre-designated time prior to the first Uber lift time departure
- Don't be afraid to take someone keys away if they have had too much to drink. Have cots or air mattresses on hand just in case if you don't have spare beds available
For more information,visit: www.azduiprocess.com
AZ DUI Process
34225 N. 27th Dr., #112
Pack a punch with a fun holiday craft for the kids
We learn how to make waterless snow globes with Crafty Chica, Kathy Cano-Murillo. It's a fun project for you and the kids, and makes an artistic centerpiece on any holiday table.
- Foam square
- Hot glue
- Holiday picks
- Images printed on card stock
Glue the foam square to the inside of the lid.
Insert the holiday pick, then hot glue the image to a toothpick and insert. Or if you aren't using an image, glue a small object on top of the foam.
Try to stick with only dry adhesives or hot glue, otherwise make sure the glue dries completely! If it doesn't dry, it will stay wet forever inside the jar and warp your picture.
I didn't add fake snow to mine, but you can if you want! I think I am such a desert chica, I don't even know how to register the thought of snow
Use ribbon or twine to dress up the rim of the jar! What do you think? Are you excited to make these? Peace, love, and glitter!
For more information, visit: http://www.craftychica.com/2016/12/waterless-snow-globes/
Hot Gadget Gift Ideas
Gadgets make fun holiday gifts, and but instead of shopping at the mall, why not try purchasing the newest high-tech gadget directly from an inventor?
For more information, visit: www.itsynergy.com
7310 N. 16th St., Suite #130
Phoenix, AZ 85020
A long-standing Microsoft Partner, itSynergy provides strategic technology management services for small and mid-sized organizations on a fixed monthly fee.