Tuesday, November 15Posted: Updated:
Leadership from the Phoenix VA Health Care System and the Phoenix VA Regional Benefits Office will host a Veteran Town Hall
The event is from 6pm to 7:30 p.m., Nov. 15th, in the ACC basement conference center at the Carl T. Hayden VA Medical Center, 650 E Indian School Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85012
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 602-200-6279
The New 'Local Nomad' Boutique
Channel your inner globetrotting explorer at Local Nomad, an all-new boutique opening inside the revamped Uptown Plaza shopping center in central Phoenix.
Stylish yet sustainably-made goods from around the world, Local Nomad is the brainchild of Lauren Danuser, an avid traveler and former retail buyer for Gap Inc., who relocated from San Francisco with her husband (a Phoenix native) to fulfill her lifelong dream of opening her own clothing accessories and jewelry shop for men, women and children.
Local Nomad shop is open from 10 am - 7 pm, Sundays through Thursdays and 10 am - 9 pm, Fridays and Saturdays. Visit their website: localnomadshop.com or follow nomad at www.facebook.com/localnomadshop/, https://www.instagram.com/localnomadshop/.
100 E Camelback Rd. Suite 168, Phoenix, AZ 85012 (in Central Phoenix's newly renovated Uptown Plaza)
Woody Harrelson stars in "Edge of Seventeen"
Actor Woody Harrelson talks with GMAZ live about his new movie "Edge of Seventeen." The film stars Hailee Steinfeld and Valley native Haley Lu Richardson. Catch it at the theaters Friday!
The Edge of Seventeen (originally titled Besties) is a coming of age American comedy drama film directed and written by Kelly Fremon Craig. It premiered at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival on September 18, 2016.
For more information, visit: http://stxmovies.com/theedgeofseventeen
Area Meat Cutters Slice on Ice in National Competition
When meat-cutters from Arizona, California and Utah hit the ice at Arizona Ice Rink Tuesday, they won't need skates or hockey sticks to score. To prove they're a cut above the competition, 10 professional meat-cutters will compete on the ice in the first round of the National Meat Cutting Challenge.
Each participant receives 25-30 pounds of beef, consisting of one sirloin, one tenderloin and one ribeye to cut. Meat cutters are judged on quality, yield, and speed in this timed cut-off. The winner is the cutter who yields the most steaks, with the highest quality cut in the least amount of time. To assure the best, freshest quality meat, all cutting is done at a chilly 38 degrees.
Three challengers will advance to the semi-finals where they'll compete for the opportunity to participate in the 2017 national competition. The semi-finals and final competition will be held March 7-8 in Orlando, FL. The winner of the national competition receives a grand prize of $20,000 and is crowned Meat Cutter of the Year.
For more information, visit www.texasroadhouse.com.
Tuesday, November 15
AZ Ice Rink
15829 N 83rd Ave
Peoria, AZ 85382
The Fat Ox -- new restaurant in Scottsdale
Housed inside a marble-lined and wood-accented space at the southwest corner of Lincoln & Scottsdale Roads, Fat OX serves up Chef Carter's modern takes on the authentic, ingredient-driven and hearty recipes of rural Italy.
Fat OX is open nightly for dinner Sunday through Thursday (5 - 10 pm) and Friday through Saturday (5 - 11 pm) with weekend brunches (10 am - 3 pm) coming soon. For more information about Fat OX, please visit www.ilovefatox.com. To make a reservation at Fat OX, please call 480-307-6900.
6316 N Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85253
(SW corner of Lincoln & Scottsdale)
Need extra cash? Seasonal hiring already underway
If you want to make a little extra cash this holiday season, retailers have already started hiring. As thousands apply for those job, we talk with Nick Morrison of Vincent Benjamin Recruiting & Staffing to find out how to stand out from the crowd, and how to turn that part-time job into full-time work.
Tips to turn that seasonal work into full-time work:
- BE YOUR BEST EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY.
- Be willing to work the holidays don’t ask for time off, long hours, come in early and leave late
- Be able/willing to take on additional responsibilities and always bring you're A+ game.
- Do whatever "brown nosing" you need to, take your boss out for a drink, become professional friends with the folks who are already permanent employees and always stay interested in the company.
- There are a lot of temporary employees during these times and a limited amount get hired.
- Give them tons of reasons to hire you on a full-time basis and don't give them any reasons not to.
2415 East Camelback Road, Suite 1000
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Impress your friends and family by making these cute apps ahead of time, leaving more time for fun this Thanksgiving! Valley food blogger Joanie Simon show us cucumber canapes and sweet potato soup shooters.
-Colorful Cucumber Canape - an easy appetizer that can be made ahead and filled with several different fillings for a real pop of color and flavor before the feast
-Sweet Potato Soup Shooters - an easy but impressive first course with a creamy sweet potato soup, topped with rich foam
How to get fit by the first of the year
Did you know the average person gains 7-10lbs from November 1st to January 1st? Life Time Fitness Dietician, Julie Brown gives us guidance on how you can navigate the negativity and stay on track.
Eat Within Moderation
Healthy snacks to keep on hand when you want something sweet or to crunch
* Pumpkin seeds, flavored almonds, sweet potato and veggie chips as well as protein chips, guacamole and hummus.
* For desserts, berries and heavy cream. I also love our pumpkin shake from the Life Café is like having a dessert in a cup.
* You can also get
* Remember to eat to your specifications whether it be choosing gluten free, low-carb - Regardless of what you eat
Quick Exercise Tips when you are crunched for time
* Workout first thing in the morning, so your to-do list does not get in the way of your workout later in the day.
* Plan to meet a buddy no matter what time of day for accountability
* Plan shorter, burst workouts such as high intensity cardio for 20 minutes, a ten-minute resistance workout for a specific body part. At Life Time we offer several 45 minute condensed classes such as our C9 Challenge which targets the entire body with strength and cardio
* From buffets to happy hour, how do you navigate the social scene - BE SELECTIVE - Stick to the crudités and veggie displays. Mini skewers of meat or poultry are a high protein treat and usually make an appearance at holiday parties. Deviled eggs are high in protein and can be full of healthy fats
Life Time Fitness, recently kicked off a 60 Day Challenge entitled Fit By The First. Our 60 Day Challenge Website has more motivational ideas and recipes http://www.lifetime60day.com/
LON's at the Hermosa Inn
Thanksgiving at LON's at the Hermosa
- Thursday, November 24, 2016 from 12pm - 7pm
- Join family and friends for a Thanksgiving meal at LON's at the Hermosa, as the culinary team creates a three-course prix fixe meal featuring contemporary Southwestern takes on traditional holiday favorites. Highlights include roasted apple and squash soup, smoked beet and king oyster mushroom salad, roasted natural turkey, grilled dry-aged pork chop, classic pumpkin pie and pecan-apple crostata, among other selections.
- Cost: $75++/person | Kids ages 5-12: $25 | Kids under 4: free
- Reservations Required: 602.955.7878 or LONs.com
For more information, visit: www.LONs.com
LON's at the Hermosa
5532 N. Palo Cristi Rd.
Paradise Valley, AZ 85253