COPY-West Indies PolentaPosted:
West Indies Polenta
Courtesy of: Chef Danielle Leoni, The Breadfruit and Rum Bar
Ingredients Quantity Prep
EVO 2 T
Garlic 2 T Minced
Thyme 3 T Picked
Basil 1 OZ Chopped
Tomato 2 C Sliced to Specs
Scallion 2 C Sliced to Specs
Onion 2 C Sliced to Specs
Ginger 2 T Minced
Gold Rum ½ C
Coconut Milk 2 C
Water 12 C
Black Pepper 1 ½ T Ground
Salt 2 T
Pimento Berry 1 T Ground
Raw Sugar 1 T
EVO 2 T
Turmeric 1 t
Cornmeal 4 C
1. In brazier, add EVO to sauté Garlic and Thyme until garlic is golden.
2. Add Basil, Tomato, Scallion, Onion and Ginger. Sauté until all ingredients until onion is soft & fond develops.
3. Remove ½ of vegetables & reserve.
4. Add Rum to deglaze. Add Coconut Milk, Water, Black Pepper, Salt, Pimento, Sugar, EVO and Curry Powder.
5. Stir well. Cover to bring to boil. Turn off heat.
6. Sift in Cornmeal and stir constantly until combined.
7. Turn on low and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. STIR CONSTANTLY.
8. Mix in reserved vegetable sauté. Turn off heat. Cover and let stand 20 minutes until firm.