Tuesday, October 11Posted: Updated:
LocalWork.com Career Expo
LocalWork.com brings this year's largest career expo to Arizona! With 85+ employers exhibiting and more than 3000 job seekers anticipated, this will be by far the biggest and best career event of the year.
Some of the companies scheduled to be there:
- State Farm
- International Cruise & Excursions, Inc.
- DIRTT Environmental Solutions
- Syngery Solutions
- The Money Source
- Safelite AutoGlass
- Pride Group
- Quicken Loans
- Walgreens CPO
Types of jobs: Customer Service, Sales, Management, Insurance Agents, Financial Advisors, Collections, Project Managers, Computer Technology Professionals, and many more!
RSVP above to secure your spot and to ensure quicker admittance into the event! https://www.localwork.com/az/phoenix/job-fairs/career-expo-2016
Tuesday, October 11th 2016
9AM to 2PM
263 N Center St, Mesa, AZ 85201
Building C, Main Hall
"Spike" New Glendale Mascot
Social Media campaign of new Glendale mascot Spike is being used as a tool to increase positive community engagement with kids and families and highlight the interactions within the community
Citizen's Police Academy Alumni of Glendale is selling Spike's to assist in fundraising to create a fund to pay for community engagement tools to assist the police department (i.e. trading cards, mascot costume)
1st opportunity to buy a Spike will be at the Getting Arizona Involved in Neighborhoods (GAIN) Event on Friday October 28th from 5pm-9pm at Murphy Park- safe alternative Halloween event with a Trunk or Treat involving Classic Cars
Follow Spike on Facebook "Spike The Canine" to find out what he's doing in the community and where his latest #SpikeSpotting will be and Spike will have surprises like the latest K-9 trading cards, there will be 6 total to collect.
"Spike The Canine" on Facebook or click this link to add him as a friend: https://www.facebook.com/GlendalePIO
Evo: Brunch After Dark
Every Sunday night we encourage diners to "Brunch After Dark" all night long, because who says you can't eat breakfast with dinner!
Dishes range from Biscuits & Gravy, breakfast burger, Mascarpone Waffles, and much more.
Served until till 1:30am
Additionally, the Sunday Night Brunch includes drink specials such as half off wine & champagne bottles until 1:30am.
Pancake Fried Bacon Recipe
- 4 C. ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 TBL BAKING POWDER
- ½ TSP KOSHER SALT
- ¼ C. SUGAR
- 4 EA. EGGS (SEPARATE YOLKS AND WHITES)
- ½ C. MELTED BUTTER
- 2.5 C. WHOLE MILK
- 1 C. HEAVY CREAM
- 6 TBL BROWN SUGAR
BOURBON MAPLE SYRUP
- 1 C. BOURBON
- 4 C. MAPLE SYRUP
THICK CUT BACON STRIPS OF YOUR CHOICE
- Preheat oven 300 DEGREES
- PLACE THE BACON BETWEEN TWO SHEET PANS, AND BAKE IN THE OVEN AT 300 DEGREES UNTIL CRISP (APROX. 20 MINUTES)
- REMOVE BACON AND PAT DRY TO REMOVE ANY EXCESS FAT.
- MIX DRY INGREDIENTS TOGETHER IN A LARGE MIXING BOWL, AND SET ASIDE.
- MELT THE BUTTER, AND WHISK OVER THE EGG YOLKS TO TEMPER.
- WHISK THE EGG WHITES TO STIFF PEAKS, AND THEN FOLD IN THE TEMPERED YOLKS.
- WHISK TOGETHER THE DRY INGREDIENTS WITH THE MILK, AND HEAVY CREAM
- THEN FOLD IN THE EGGS SLOWLY UNTIL ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF LUMPS ARE LEFT.
- (A LITTLE LUMPY IS OK)
- DIP THE BACON INTO THE PANCAKE BATTER UNTIL FULLY SUBMERGED, THEN PLACE THEM IN A TABLE TOP DEEP FRYER, (350 degrees) AND COOK UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN ON BOTH SIDES.
- REMOVE THEM FROM THE OIL, AND DUST WITH POWDERED SUGAR, AND DRIZZLE WITH MAPLE SYRUP, OR SERVE THE SYRUP ON THE SIDE FOR DIPPING
- BOURBON MAPLE SYRUP
- USE A FLAMBEPAN, LARGE SKILLET, OR LARGE CHAFING DISH WITH ROUNDED, DEEP SIDES AND A LONG HANDLE TO HEAT BOURBON TO A FLAMBE
- LET COOK UNTIL FLAME DISAPEARS (at this point all alcohol has burned off,
- If you want to retain some of the alcohol flavor, cover flaming dish to extinguish flames)
- LET COOL BEFORE SERVING
Evo is open from 4pm-2am Monday through Sunday
For more information, call (480)-265-9814 or visit www.evoscottsdale.com
4175 N. Goldwater Blvd Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Cross Streets: E. 3rd Ave & N. Goldwater Blvd
Taking a stand by taking a seat for charity
Preview some fun, funky, artistic and one-of-a-kind chairs designed by local artists at Fashion Square Mall. They'll be auctioned at the 2016 Take a Seat charity gala which takes place this Fri. Oct 14th, with proceeds going to the Military Assistance Mission. Our own 3TV's Nicole Crites will emcee the evening, which is themed, "Helping Heroes at Home."
For more info: IFDATakeASeat.com
Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall--All the chairs are between Dillard’s and Niemen Marcus.
7014 E Camelback Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Scottsdale Rd & Camelback
New "laughing gas" delivery rooms
Now, for the first time, expectant moms have another choice for pain management when it comes to labor and delivery. Dr. Greg Marchand of Tempe St. Luke's Hospital is offering nitrous oxide, commonly known as "laughing gas" to his patients, as opposed to the traditional epidural. The mixture is a combo of 50-percent nitrous oxide and 50% oxygen.
For more info: TempeStLukesHospital.com or call 1-877-351-WELL (9355).
No fish when pregnant? Debunking common health myths
Does green mucus always mean infection? Should you starve a fever and feed a cold? There are health myths that have been around for decades. Dr. Sharon Thompson helps dispel them for us.
Rumor: You shouldn't eat fish when you are pregnant.
Truth: According to the FDA women should:
- Eat 8 to 12 ounces of a variety of fish* each week from choices that are lower in mercury. The nutritional value of fish is important during growth and development before birth, in early infancy for breastfed infants, and in childhood
*Avoid fish that are highest in mercury: tilefish from the Gulf of Mexico, shark, swordfish, and king mackerel. Limit white (albacore) tuna to 6 ounces a week
More Information: http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm393070.htm
Rumor: Green mucous means a bacterial infection and yellow mucous a viral one.
- Most illnesses that cause mucous are caused by viruses
- Both bacterial and viral illnesses can cause clear, yellow or green mucous
- Antibiotics do not help with viral illnesses
- Call your doctor if your illness lasts more than 10 days or if you have a fever for more than three days.
Rumor: Starve a fever, feed a cold.
- Starving, at any time, is bad; feed a cold and feed a fever
- And make sure to drink plenty of fluids
Rumor: Birth control pills need to clear your system before you can get pregnant
- There is a reason you have to take the pill every day
- Missing a day can result in pregnancy
- Stop your pill the month you want to become pregnant, not before
Rumor: Drinking alcohol warms you up
- Remember the image of the St Bernard with the barrel of alcohol around its neck
- Drinking alcohol will make you feel warmer
- That toasty feeling is because alcohol makes the vessels in your skin open wide and the warm blood rushing to your skin makes you feel warm
- However, that warm blood is moving away from your internal organs lowering your body temperature
- In a situation of severe cold, drinking alcohol is the exact opposite of what you should do
For more information visit: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SaintBernardRescue
Central Phoenix Obstetrics and Gynecology
926 East McDowell Road, #134, Phoenix, AZ 85006
Should the Valley be concerned about another housing bubble?
Valley home prices are at a 10 year high. HomeSmart Elite Group Realtor Bobby Lieb tells us if we're on the verge of another bubble burst.
Home prices are at a 10-year high
Is the Valley on the verge of another bubble?
Why to not be concerned
1. Lends are not doing 100 percent financing now
2. We are still not at the price point of 2006
3. Weather brings people to Phoenix no hurricanes, floods, etc.
4. Good job market
Why to be concerned
1. If you lose your job
2. A job transfer requires a home to be sold quickly
3. Surrounding homes are not being maintained
a. For example, by renters.
8388 E. Hartford Dr., Ste. 100, Scottsdale
Purpose Pops deliver healthy treat for a good cause
Eat less sugar! Purpose Pops are healthy smoothie pops made in the Valley. For every new customer that signs up in October and November, Purpose Pops will donate $5 to Phoenix Children's Hospital.
For more information visit PurposePops.com .
Walk to save animals
The Arizona Animal Welfare League joined us with an adoptable pet. Plus, they'll be hosting their Walk to Save Animals on November 5th. This event is one of the largest fundraisers for the no-kill animal shelter, where the community, and man's best friend go for a walk around Tempe Beach Park and Tempe Town Lake.
The Walk to Save Animals is more than just a 2k & 5k walk! Participants can shop pet related vendors, gather tons of freebies for Fido in the Pet Club Market, win prizes, view demonstrations like fly ball and agility, enjoy refreshments, experience fun activities with your furry family members, and much more! Bring the entire family and spend the morning at Tempe Town Lake helping to save lives!
Online registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on THURSDAY, NOV. 3, 2016
Day-of registration opens at 7 a.m.
5k Walk will start at 8:15 a.m.
2k Walk will start at 8:30 a.m.
REGISTRATION FEES (September 7 - November 3):
Youth (17 yrs. or under) $25
For more info: AAWL.org
Taphouse Kitchen debuts new fall menu
Taphouse Kitchen is located at Hilton Village in Scottsdale, and is open seven days a week, opening at 9am on Sundays for brunch.
Highwater Campfire stout braised beef short rib, roasted shallot and fontina cheese risotto recipe: Serves 4
For the ribs
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cups flou.25 lbs. butter unsalted
3 lbs. beef short ribs cut into individual ribs
1 cup diced onion
.5 cups diced carrot
.5 cups diced celery
10 ea. Garlic cloves
3 ea. Bay leaves
3 oz. tomato paste
2 quarts beef or chicken stock
4 cups campfire stout
6 sprigs fresh thyme
6 sprigs fresh oregano
Begin by dusting the ribs with salt and pepper and the flour. Bring a large pot up to a medium high heat and add the olive oil to it. Begin to sear each side of the ribs until brown on each side. Add the tomato paste, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, bay leaves, and herbs, let this cook for a few minutes until vegetables are covered and brown by the tomato paste. Add the beer and the stock. Cover and place in the oven at 300 degrees for 3 to 3 and a half hours or until tender. Take the ribs out and set aside. Strain the liquid out and place it into a sauce pot and reduce by half. Whisk in butter, cover and set aside.
For the risotto
4 cups chicken stock
.5 cups heavy cream
5 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp minced shallot
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 ea. Bay leaves
6137 N Scottsdale Rd Ste 108, Scottsdale, AZ 85250