Reward raised to $75,000 in 'Serial Street Shooter' case

Posted: Updated:
Officials gather on Aug. 25 to give an update on the "Serial Street Shooter" investigation. (Source: KPHO/KTVK) Officials gather on Aug. 25 to give an update on the "Serial Street Shooter" investigation. (Source: KPHO/KTVK)
This map shows some of the shooting incidents. (Source: Bing) This map shows some of the shooting incidents. (Source: Bing)
Suspect sketch and vehicle description (Source: Phoenix Police Dept.) Suspect sketch and vehicle description (Source: Phoenix Police Dept.)
MESA, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

The reward for information leading to an arrest in the "Serial Street Shooter" case has been increased to $75,000.

Officials made the announcement during a news conference at the Phoenix Police Dept. on Thursday.

"This ongoing serial street shooter case has created a tremendous amount of fear among residents across our entire city and it's created a tremendous amount of resolve to bring this killer to justice," Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said.

[Raw video: Officials update Phoenix Serial Street Shooter investigation]

The "Serial Street Shooter," who has mostly struck at night, has killed seven people and wounded nine since March.

"This is not the Maryvale shooter case," said Mayor Stanton. "Sadly there has been tragic activities by this shooter outside of Maryvale and other parts of the city. There is no reason to think that if we don't catch this killer soon that he might not move on to other parts of the Valley."

The top prosecutor in metro Phoenix wants any witnesses or victims tied to the unsolved serial killing spree to know that they should not be afraid to come forward because of their immigration status.

Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said Thursday that anyone with potential tips will not face charges if they are found to be living in the U.S. illegally.

"Anyone who comes forward to assist with this case, whether a witness or a victim, their immigration status will not be considered whatsoever," Montgomery said. "And I will not except for charging any case that arises out of someone's immigration status that was revealed as a consequence of this investigation. No charges whatsoever from my office."

Montgomery also said that immigration status has not been an issue in the investigation so far.

"This investigation is the number one priority for the Phoenix Police Department," according to Phoenix Police Chief Joe Yahner. "We've received and investigated approximately 1,500 tips from our community. That's in addition to the leads and evidence that our detectives have developed during the course of the investigation."

Police believe that in each incident the suspect arrived and departed in a vehicle, but that vehicle description has varied from a light-colored sedan to a dark-colored sedan.

Police said a handgun was used during the crimes and the suspect had no known prior contact with the victims.

All of the incidents occurred in residential neighborhoods, many of them in the Maryvale area.

Police said they are doing everyone they possibly can to catch the perpetrator.

"We are working twenty-four hours a day on this case, seven days a week," said Sgt. Jon Howard with the Phoenix Police Dept. "We have dozens of investigators at our stations working it constantly and we have dozens of officers and detectives out on the streets following up on any tips that we get and patrolling our neighborhoods."

Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich announced that his office contributed $25,000 to reward in this case.

"We know that someone out there knows who this person is, said Brnovich. "We want to remind folks the life you save may be your very own or maybe one of your loved ones. No one in this community deserves to live in fear."

[Special Section: Serial Street Shooter]

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Copyright 2016 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.


  • Social Connect

  • Contact

    AZ Family