Wednesday, August 10Posted: Updated:
Tropical Storm Javier-locations of sandbags
Tropical Storm Javier is headed our way! We have sand available for residents at two Tempe locations: Tempe Field Services, Rio Salado Parkway & Priest Drive (northeast corner, in the parking lot) and Benedict Sports Complex (northwest corner of Guadalupe and Kyrene roads) east side of parking lot. There are a few bags available at each location on a first-come, first served basis. Be prepared for the storm: #monsoonready
Sand and sand bags are available 24 hours a day for Scottsdale residents on a first-come, first-served basis through at three locations:
- Near the city's north Corporation Yard, 9379 E. San Salvador.
- Near District 1 Police Headquarters, 7601 E. McKellips Road.
- Solid Waste Transfer Station, 8417 E. Union Hills Drive.
For more information visit:
In the event of flooding, the city of Phoenix will provide sand at certain fire stations. Those fire stations will be listed on this page. Residents must bring a shovel and bags. We also encourage residents to learn more about Flood Barriers as a new way to protect property.
- Phoenix Fire Station #16, 1414 E. Mohave St.
- Phoenix Fire Station #31, 5730 E. Thunderbird Rd.
- Phoenix Fire Station #36, 21602 N. 9th Ave.
- Phoenix Fire Station #40, 3838 N. 83rd Ave.
- Phoenix Fire Station #43, 4110 E. Chandler Blvd.
- Phoenix Fire Station #48, 5230 W. Happy Valley Rd.
- Phoenix Fire Station #49, 3750 E. Dynamite Blvd.
- Phoenix Fire Station #52, 21650 N. Tatum Blvd.
- Phoenix Fire Station #57, 1708 W. Dobbins Road
Local Love: Two Plates Full
They specialize in hand crafted items that are unusual, colorful and whimsical, local artists, a lot of pieces can be custom ordered, dog and cat items, kids, clothing, pottery, glassware, garden, books and great greeting cards
Second Sunday art fest starting November thru April...local artists, music and food trucks
Clothing line created from recycled t shirts by owner Terri Weisz also samples of a new cookie line coming out soon
Main source in Arizona for sticks handcrafted object art and furniture. Visit:
http://www.sticks.com/ for more information.
10337 N. Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85253
Cross Streets: Scottsdale and Shea
Helio Basin Brewing Company
The Grand Opening "Official,” Celebration on Saturday August, 13th.
For more information visit their website with links to event info under "Events"
3935 East Thomas Road Phoenix AZ 85018
SW Corner of 40th Street and Thomas
Financial tips you can learn from your friends' Facebook posts
Three things you can learn from your Facebook friends' posts
- Financial tech recommendations
- Money saving philosophies
This was the most popular "money" story on FB last year: http://moneysavingsisters.com/4-gift-christmas-challenge-want-need-wear-read/
Peers may post articles (dos and don'ts) about debt or similar financial issues you're experiencing for better or worse
Overall takeaway of "peer pressure" on Facebook, from financial perspective
Cite Facebook study that showed correlation between home purchases increasing among friends who also purchased homes.
16930 E. Palisades Blvd., #103, Fountain Hills, AZ, 85268
Allison Dubois will have an annual Mother's Day weekend event for 2017.
For more information on this event visit: http://www.allisondubois.com/product/scottsdale-seminar-may-13-2017-vip/
Back to School Breakfast
August is National Breakfast Month and it's a perfect time to start thinking about healthy, delicious, and convenient breakfast ideas as the kids head back to school!
People can find NestFresh at:
- DeCA commissaries on military bases
Homemade Egg and Sausage Wraps
Store bought whole wheat pizza dough
3 NestFresh eggs
1/4 cup liquid egg whites
2 chicken sausage links, chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat sauté peppers, onion and sausage with olive oil for about 5 minutes until peppers are softened and sausage is heated through.
3. Add eggs and egg whites and mix with spatula to scramble eggs within the pepper, sausage mixture. Once eggs are cooked (about 1-2 minutes) remove from heat and set aside.
4. Divide dough on floured surface into 2 pieces. Then cut each piece into 4 equal pieces. Roll each of the eight pieces out into a somewhat rectangular shape.
5. Fill each piece with about 1/4 cup of the egg/sausage/pepper mixture and fold dough over, sealing closed by pressing together with you finger tips.
6. Place each pocket on the baking sheet.
7. Spray pockets with more baking spray before baking.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes until dough starts to turn golden brown and is fully cooked.
9. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
10. Wrap each pocket in aluminum foil and freeze.
11. Reheat in microwave or toaster oven when ready to eat.
Almond Butter and Banana Open Faced Sandwich
1 large banana
2 TBSP almond butter
1 TBSP raw honey/agave/maple syrup
1 TBSP tahini
Toppings of choice: walnuts, raisins, almond flakes, chia seeds
1. Slice your banana lengthwise.
2. Mix almond butter with tahini and sweetener of choice.
3. Layer it all.
Scottsdale Quarter Kitten Pop Up Shop
Each year thousands of kittens will flood Valley shelters during kitten season. However, if you're looking for your purrrfect match and ready to adopt a fur baby, then we have an event just for you at Scottsdale Quarter this weekend.
AAWL will be waiving the second kitten adoption fee (so potential adopters can get two kittens for the price of one.
Where: Scottsdale Quarter, 15037 N. Scottsdale Road on South Street in suite 155 across from Grimaldi's Pizzeria
When: Saturday, August 13th and 14th
Time: 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Adoption fees: $100 for one kitten or two kittens for $150
Visit: www.scottsdalequarter.com for more information.
Eklectic Pie brings in one of their specialty pizzas to help celebrate National S'Mores Day!
Eklectic Pie - Mesa
1859 S. Stapley Dr., Ste. 105-3
Mesa, AZ 85204
Eklectic Pie Chandler
2990 E. Germann Rd.
Chandler, AZ 85286
For more information visit their website and social media platforms:
Facebook: Eklectic Pie
Instagram: Eklectic Pie