New motion filed in freeway shooting case

Posted: Updated:
Leslie Merritt Jr. seen talking to reports after he was released from jail last week. (Source: KPHO/KTVK) Leslie Merritt Jr. seen talking to reports after he was released from jail last week. (Source: KPHO/KTVK)
MESA, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

Attorneys for a man once accused in a string of freeway shooters filed a motion Tuesday to unseal pleadings in the case.

[PDF: Read full motion to unseal pleadings]

On Monday, charges were formally dismissed against Leslie Merritt Jr. at the request of prosecutors after  one of their own experts had questioned the ballistics evidence that formed the foundation of the case.

[RELATED: All charges against accused I-10 shooter dismissed]

Authorities previously said they used ballistic tests to tie Merritt to four of the 11 shootings, but Merritt's lawyers have recently argued that ballistic tests cast doubt on the claim their client was behind the attacks.

Merritt's lawyers said phone records and accounts from family members showed that Merritt wasn't near the scene of the shootings.

Prosecutors have cast doubt on the alibi claim by saying Merritt's fiancee told investigators that she wasn't sure about his whereabouts.

A judge has barred several documents in the case from public release, including a filing that led to Merritt leaving jail. 

Copyright 2016 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Social Connect

  • Contact

    AZ Family