COPY-Cauliflower Melts and Spring Vegetable and Goat Cheese DipPosted:
Adpated from Jill Donenfeld
Yields: 8 toasts
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Medium head of cauliflower, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slabs, possibly halved to make a total of 8 slabs
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup shelled pistachios
8 1/2-inch-thick slices sourdough bread, toasted
4 ounces Manchego cheese, cut into 8 slices
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the cauliflower slabs and toss to coat.
3. Arrange the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until fork tender and caramelized. Set aside to cool but keep the oven on.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, soak the raisins in wine for 10 minutes. Drain.
5. In a small pan over medium-high heat, toast the pistachios, in a dry skillet over medium heat. Let cool then chop coarsely.
6. Lay the bread on the baking sheet and arrange the cauliflower on the bread, cutting it to fit as needed.
7. Sprinkle with pistachios and raisins and top with the cheese.
8. Bake until the cheese melts, 7 to 10 minutes.
9. Top the toasts with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Spring Vegetable and Goat Cheese Dip
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Yields: 4 servings
1 cup 3/4-inch pieces asparagus
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped leeks (white and pale-green parts only)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups whole milk
1 cup grated mild white cheddar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 14-ounce can chopped artichoke hearts in water, drained
¼ cup fresh (or frozen, thawed) peas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
4 ounces crumbled fresh goat cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Trim asparagus. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a sheet tray and roast until tender.
2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes. Whisk in flour; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened; remove from heat. Add cheddar; whisk until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fold in asparagus (reserve tips), artichoke hearts, peas, chives, mint, flat-leaf parsley, zest and 2 oz. crumbled fresh goat cheese.
3. Transfer mixture to a 4–5-cup baking dish; arrange asparagus tips on top and dot with another 2 oz. goat cheese. Bake until golden brown and bubbling, 15–20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.