How to choose a plumberPosted: Updated:
It doesn't matter where you live or how nice a house you have, chances are you will one day need a plumber.
"There are three different things that can break a plumbing system - age, debris and water quality," plumber Mark Felice explained.
But choosing the right plumber to deal with those things can be a challenge.
Some consumer experts insist that choosing a company based solely on price is not always the wisest decision.
"You might find some discounts, might be an agreement holder to get 15-percent off and save money, but you don't want to reduce the level of education and knowledge, and level of experience you get," Linda Stanfield with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing said.
Jay Kline with Penguin Air and Home Services said that you need to find a company you can trust.
"A lot them you'll run into can do a quick fix," Kline said. "But the next thing you know, the repair they did costs more to have fixed, plus whatever damage it did."
Arizona's Better Business Bureau keeps track of some the best- and worst-rated plumbing companies across the Valley
5 plumbers with an F rating from the BBB
- A.P. C Athena's Plumbing Company in Gilbert
- Arizona Leak Detection in Phoenix
- Just Plumbing Services in Chandler
- One Good Plumber in Scottsdale
- Ryan Mechanical Company in Gilbert
5 plumbing companies with an A-plus rating from the BBB
- Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Chandler
- Penguin Air and Plumbing in Phoenix
- Above All Plumbing in Tempe
- Sav-On Plumbing in Glendale
- Apple Plumbing Services in Scottsdale
When Tempe homeowner Joe Martinez was having some plumbing problems, he made sure to hire a plumber who was not only highly recommended but also had been in business a long time and was licensed and bonded.
"You hear a lot of stories, so you want to pick somebody reliable," Martinez said.
- Consumer experts recommend doing your homework before hiring a plumber.
- Look up a company's license with Arizona's Registrar of Contractors.
- See how long the plumber has been in business and if the company has a proven track record.
- Find complaints on the Better Business Bureau website.
- See how a company responds to customer concerns.
- Get a written estimate before any work is performed.
Copyright 2016 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.