Reward for info in Phoenix freeway shootings now at $50K

Posted: Updated:
(Source: Arizona Department of Public Safety) (Source: Arizona Department of Public Safety)
MESA, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

The reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in a string of 11 shootings on Phoenix-area freeways was raised Monday to $50,000.

Arizona Department of Public Safety Director Frank Milstead said the reward was increased because lives are at stake and people are terrified.

"I know someone out there knows something and I'm willing to pay for that information," Milstead said at a news conference.

Many Phoenix drivers have avoided freeways since the shootings began Aug. 29, mostly along Interstate 10, a major route through the city.

Eight of the cars were hit with bullets and three with projectiles that could have been BBs or pellets, authorities said.

There has only been one injury. The ear of a 13-year-old girl was cut by glass as a bullet shattered the window of the vehicle she was riding in.

Authorities have been asking for the public's help in identifying a suspect or suspects, including putting messages on freeway billboards urging people to report suspicious activity.

About 550 of the nearly 1,000 tips received so far are being investigated, Milstead said

The reward was quadrupled on Sept. 8 to $20,000 before being boosted again Monday with the additional money coming from the DPS, Arizona Highway Patrol, Fraternal Order of Police, Maricopa County Attorney's Office, U.S. Marshals Service and other agencies.

Milstead has said the shootings amount to domestic terrorism, but he hasn't discussed with prosecutors whether a suspect would be charged with terrorism-related crimes.

The charge applies to anyone whose actions incite fear in the state.

Milstead believes the charge could be appropriate for three teenagers who were arrested last weekend after rocks were shot from slingshots and hit a car window in an unrelated case.

"I would think what they're still doing is terrorism. They're still inflicting fear on the community," Milstead said.

A 19-year-old Avondale man who was detained Friday at a convenience store near Interstate 10 remained jailed on a charge unrelated to the freeway shootings.

"We have not completed our investigation into him," said Milstead, adding that authorities want to know more about the man.

[RELATED: Questions and answers about Phoenix freeway shootings]

[INFOGRAPHIC: Freeway shootings by date]

[SHARE A TIP OR REPORT AN INCIDENT: Click/tap to call now from your mobile device]

[RELATED: Freeway drivers still asked to be vigilant]

[SPECIAL SECTION: Freeway shootings]

[SLIDESHOW: AZ freeway shootings]

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Will you change your daily commute because of the attacks that have taken place along Interstate 10?

  • Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:

    Yes
    52%
    1464 votes
    No
    48%
    1364 votes
  • Social Connect

  • Contact

    AZ Family