Alcohol and calories: What drinks have the most and least?Posted: Updated:
It's Labor Day, people are enjoy the day with a barbecue and they may have an alcoholic beverage. But did you know one drink might have 800 calories and another just 250?
Your body has to work much harder to metabolize alcohol and by doing so, your fat metabolism slows down significantly. That is just part of the equation, the other being what is in your drink.
Dr. Robb Bird lists some drinks with their calorie intake:
1. Margaritas: Margaritas are made with tequila, triple sec and often sugar-laden frozen limeade concentrate. A sugary margarita can weigh in at 800 calories.
2. Mojitos: Mojitos are made of sugar, lime juice, rum and club soda. The sugar is another culprit here for this 250-calorie drink.
3. Daiquiris: Frozen daiquiris are like a 250-calorie dessert. They are often made with both Schnapps and rum, lime juice, sugar and fruit.
4. Piña coladas: If you like piña coladas, watch out. The rum, pineapple juice and cream of coconut drink can contain up to 650 calories.
5. Sangria: Sangria is another summer crowd pleaser. While a traditional sangria can have only 150 calories and 16 grams of sugar, if you add in a lot of fruit juice, you can be lopping on an additional 60 calories and 12 grams of sugar.
6. Beer: A cooler full of beers is often poolside. On average, one beer contains about 150 calories and 13 grams of carbohydrates. However most people consume way more than one beer. If you have six beers that is more than 900 calories and close to 80 grams of carbs.
7. Shots: If you are even thinking of doing shots, remember, moderation is key, especially on a holiday where many will overindulge. Studies show that regular binge drinking can lead to obesity.
TransformYou Weight Loss Clinic
4025 S. McClintock Drive, Suite #210
Tempe, AZ 85282