Saturday, July 4, 2015: Crab Cakes and Citrus Aioli by Chef Christopher CollinsPosted:
1 cup mayo
¼ cup lemon juice
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp hot sauce
¼ tsp tarragon, minced
Zest from 2 lemons
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
2. Refrigerate until ready for service.
8 x 4oz Cakes
Crab Cake Mixture
2 lb crab meat (Blue Crab or Dungeness)
1 egg beaten
1 cup mayo
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp parlsey, minced
1 tsp Old Bay
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups course bread crumbs
¼ cup clarified butter + ¼ cup evoo
1 cup Citrus Aioli – see recipe
For the Cakes
1. Mix all ingredients except crab in a bowl.
2. Gently fold crab into mixture being careful not to break up the crab.
3. Portion into 4oz patties lightly pressing together to form into cakes.
4. Sprinkle half of bread crumbs on each side of cake and lightly pat together.
5. Hold in refrigerator for service for at least one hour, max 12 hours, to chill and set the cake.
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of clarified butter/evoo in a heavy skillet over medium high heat until hot and shimmering.
3. Cook cakes 2-3 min, gently flip and continue cooking until golden brown for an additional 2-3 minutes.
*Add more clarified butter/evoo as needed
4. Place skillet in oven for an additional 3 minutes to bring internal temperature to approx 145-155.
5. Spread 2 tbsp Citrus Aioli on plate and then place hot crab cakes on top of the aioli.