Wednesday, June 10Posted: Updated:
The CEO of the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company and restaurants, Steve Barnett, will be at Changing Hands Bookstore in Phoenix Wednesday at 7 p.m. He will present his story of the creation, growth and sale of his concept restaurant based on the movie "Forrest Gump."
Wednesday, June 10, 7 p.m.
Changing Hands Bookstore
300 W. Camelback Road, Phoenix
Super Eating Pitfalls
Judy Nicassio, Certified Nutritionist at Rejuvena Health & Aesthetics, shows us the pitfalls of summer eating, including food and drinks that can hamper your diet during the summer.
Here are some tips you can follow.
1. Healthy, summer foods that can be loaded with calories (i.e. salad dressing)
2. Treating smoothies/shakes as meals by themselves instead of sugary, calorie-packed snacks
3. Water vs. fruit juice
4. Common summer eating habits that do more harm than good (i.e. waiting all day to eat)
5. Overall tips for practicing healthier eating habits this summer
Rejuvena Health & Aesthetics
9977 N. 95th St.
Chef Karl the "go-grilling master" shows how to prep a steak for summer grilling.
- Do season and lightly oil your food before grilling. Try one of our signature seasonings for an extra pinch of flavor.
- Don't use forks to handle the steaks as they can damage the meat. Use tongs or a spatula instead.
- Don't put frozen steaks on the grill; make sure they are room temperature.
- Keep a spray bottle with water handy to douse any unexpected flare-ups.
- Do grill your steak just right. We use the 60/40 grilling method. Grill for 60 percent of the time on the first side, then grill 40 percent of the time after you turn over the food. You can also use our free Steak Time app to help you grill your steak to your desired doneness.
FREE Immunization Clinics
The Mesa Fire and Medical Department offers a FREE immunization clinic every month. They have partnered with the Superstition Springs Center and want to remind parents to immunize their children now in preparation for the upcoming school year.
- The free monthly immunization clinic will continue to be offered throughout the summer and parents are encouraged to beat the back-to-school rush and immunize their children now.
- Starting Wednesday, June 10, 5 p.m.-7 p.m. (2nd Wednesday of every month until October)
- Held monthly at Superstition Springs Center, 6555 E. Southern Ave., Mesa, lower level by Sears.
For more information on what vaccines are available at the free clinic and for a full list of dates and times, visit www.mesaaz.gov/residents/fire-medical/immunizations.