Weekend freeway travel advisory (May 29-June 1)Posted: Updated:
Freeway-improvement projects will require closures or lane restrictions in the Phoenix area this weekend (May 29-June 1). The Arizona Department of Transportation recommends drivers plan ahead, consider alternate routes or adjust travel schedules and use caution in work zones while the following restrictions are in place:
· North- and southbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) ramps to eastbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) in Mesa area closed from 6 p.m. Saturday to 8 p.m. Sunday (May 31) for paving work as part of freeway-widening project. Eastbound Loop 202 also narrowed to three lanes between Loop 101 and Dobson Road. Eastbound Loop 202 off-ramp at Dobson Road closed. DETOUR: Northbound Loop 101 drivers can travel east on University Drive or Rio Salado Parkway and north on Dobson Road to reach Loop 202. Southbound Loop 101 drivers can travel east on Thomas or McDowell roads, south on Dobson Road and east on McKellips Road to reach Loop 202.
· Southbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed at McDowell Road in Scottsdale area from 11 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (May 31) for widening project. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes, including southbound State Route 51. Southbound Loop 101 traffic exiting at McDowell Road can detour to southbound Hayden Road and use eastbound McKellips Road to reconnect with Loop 101. Please note: Southbound Loop 101 ramp to eastbound Loop 202 closed (see restriction description above).
· Eastbound Interstate 10 (toward Tucson) narrowed to one lane overnight between Wild Horse Pass Boulevard and Queen Creek Road from 9 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday (May 30) for pavement improvements. Eastbound I-10 off- and on-ramps at Queen Creek Road closed. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and use caution when approaching work zone. Consider using Riggs Road or Wild Horse Pass Boulevard while ramps at Queen Creek Road are closed.
· Westbound Interstate 10 (toward Phoenix) narrowed to one lane overnight between Queen Creek Road and Wild Horse Pass Boulevard from 9 p.m. Saturday to 10 a.m. Sunday (May 31) for pavement improvements. Westbound I-10 off- and on-ramps at Queen Creek Road closed. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and use caution when approaching work zone. Consider using Riggs Road or Wild Horse Pass Boulevard while ramps at Queen Creek Road are closed.
· Country Club Drive closed in both directions at Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) in Mesa from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (June 1) for bridge work. Loop 202 on- and off-ramps at Country Club Drive open with only right turns allowed. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes, including McKellips and Alma School roads.
Additional freeway-restriction information will be listed on ADOT's website, azdot.gov, under ADOT News. Visit the site to also subscribe to ADOT email updates, including weekend restriction information.
For a complete list of highway and freeway restrictions in the Phoenix area and around the state, visit ADOT's Travel Information site at az511.gov or call 5-1-1. Another great way to find out more about ADOT's projects and programs to improve Arizona's transportation system is the ADOT blog at azdot.gov/blog.