Fun & Fabulous Party Food Ideas by Rachel Harris, Manic Managed MomPosted:
Fun & Fabulous Party Food Ideas
by: Rachel Harris, Managedmoms.com
If you are hosting a party or attending one and you want to bring a fun food idea, here are several tasty creations that the guests will love.
Watermelon Pizza Pie
I first saw this on Facebook and I couldn't wait to make one for our family barbecue that celebrated our daughter's church Confirmation last weekend. It was a hit visually and eating it was fun and tasty, too. Here is how to make it....
What You Need:
2 Kiwi fruits, sliced into circles
1 container of blueberries
One pizza box for fun
What You Do:
1. Slice a big round circle of watermelon so that it is round like a pizza and place in a pizza box.
2. Slice the watermelon into pizza sized and shaped slices.
3. Top with round kiwi slices, blueberries and then sprinkle as much coconut flakes on top as you desire. The watermelon looks like the tomato sauce, the kiwi are like pepperoni, the blueberries resemble sausage and the coconut looks like the cheese on a pizza. Super fun!
Spiced Mixed Nuts
This tasty appetizer favorite comes to me from good friends, Mike and DeeDee Crook, who own the local and delicious OKB Sauce which stands for Old Kentucky Barbeque sauce and this stuff is good. OKB Sauce can be purchased at AJ's Fine Foods and a bunch of other Valley locations. To see the complete list of where to buy this scrumptious sauce, visit www.okbsauce.com. I was anxious to try their Spiced Mixed Nuts recipe and our guests loved it. Here is the recipe...
What You Need:
1/4 cup OKB – Old Kentucky Barbeque Sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound of your favorite mixed nuts such as walnuts, pecan and almonds
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup plain M&Ms (optional) or 1/2 cup of dried cranberries (optional)
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, add barbeque sauce, brown sugar and salt.
3. Simmer gently until sugar is melted, about 2 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add nuts and oil, stirring until nuts are evenly coated.
5. Spread nuts evenly on a baking sheet and bake 15 to 18 minutes until nuts are a deep brown color.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely on a single layer of wax paper.
7. Stir in M&Ms OR dried cranberries and serve. I like to make both versions and both are loved by my guests!
Scrumptious Smores Bar
If you have a fire pit or fireplace and you like to roast marshmallows, mix it up a bit with a Smores bar with the expected Hershey's chocolate bar, but also surprise your guests with peanut butter cups. You won't believe what a tasty flavor that concoction offers. Put out other types of chocolate, flavored graham crackers, etc. Get creative!
My Favorite Easy Cheats
If you need to bring food to a party last minute, grab a colorful and pretty veggie tray from the grocery store or Trader Joe's guacamole kit that has the easy to assemble ingredients all together in one small boxed kit. Grab some tortillas chips and mix it up upon arrival. Let the party host know (if they don't mind) that you are going to make fresh guac right then and there. Call it tableside guacamole and chips, like it is done in some restaurants.
What are your favorite party food ideas? Share here in the comments section and remember to check my blog at managedmoms.com for more recipes and ideas. Happy Summer party season!