Weekend freeway travel advisory (April 17-20)Posted: Updated:
Freeway improvement projects in the Phoenix area will require closures or lane restrictions this weekend (April 17-20), according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers are encouraged to allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the following freeway restrictions are in place:
· Eastbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) closed between Interstate 10 and Price Road in Chandler from 10 p.m. Friday to noon Saturday (April 18) and from 10 p.m. Saturday to noon Sunday (April 19) for traffic-technology installation, including new message board. All I-10 ramps to eastbound Loop 202 also closed. DETOUR: Please use alternate routes, such as eastbound Ray Road or Chandler Boulevard.
· Grand Avenue (US 60) narrowed to one lane in both directions between Loop 303 and 163rd Avenue in Surprise from 3 a.m. to noon Saturday (April 18). DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes.
· Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) narrowed to one lane in both directions between Power and Broadway roads in east Mesa from 5 a.m. Saturday to 10 p.m. Sunday (April 19) for paving as part of widening project. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes.
· Alma School Road closed in both directions at Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) in Mesa from 5 p.m. Friday to noon Monday (April 20) for bridge work. Both Loop 202 off-ramps at Alma School Road also closed. DETOUR: Please use alternate routes, including Country Club Drive.
· McKellips Road closed in both directions at Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) from 10 p.m. Friday to 7 p.m. Saturday (April 18) for bridge construction. Loop 202 on- and off-ramps at McKellips Road now closed until October for widening project. DETOUR: Please use alternate routes, including Country Club Drive.
· Northbound Interstate 17 narrowed to one lane overnight between 19th Avenue and Van Buren Street from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights (April 19-21) for pavement repairs. Northbound I-17 off- and on-ramps between Buckeye Road and Adams Street closed. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes, including westbound I-10 in the downtown Phoenix area.
· Central Avenue closed in both directions at Interstate 17 from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (April 20) for city of Phoenix bridge project. Central Avenue connections to I-17 frontage roads will remain open. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes, including Seventh Avenue or Seventh Street.
Additional freeway restriction information will be listed on ADOT's website, azdot.gov, under ADOT News. Visit the site to also subscribe to ADOT email updates, including weekend restriction information.
For a complete list of highway and freeway restrictions in the Phoenix area and around the state, visit ADOT's Travel Information site at az511.gov or call 511. Another great way to find out more about ADOT's projects and programs to improve Arizona's transportation system is the ADOT blog at azdot.gov/blog.
ADOT plans and constructs new freeways, additional lanes and other improvements as part of the Regional Transportation Plan for the Maricopa County region. The primary funding source for regional freeway improvements is a half-cent sales tax approved by county voters in 2004. More information about ADOT projects and the regional plan is available at azdot.gov/PhoenixMetro.