Tuesday, April 14, 2015: Organic Green Salad with Strawberries, Maytag Blue & Candied Walnuts by Chef Chuck WileyPosted:
Organic Green Salad with Strawberries, Maytag Blue & Candied Walnuts
Yield: 4 Servings
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp Reserved rice vinegar (from the pickled shallot recipe)
1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Walnut oil
To taste Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
4-5 cups Mixed organic greens (baby oak leaf, mizuna, arugula etc.)
1 recipe Pickled Shallots (recipe follows)
16 each Strawberries, quartered
3-4 oz Blue cheese (we prefer Maytag Blue from Iowa)
1 recipe Candied walnuts (recipe follows)
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the mustard, reserved rice vinegar and balsamic. Whisk in the oil slowly to make an emulsion, season with salt and pepper.
2. Place the greens and shallot in a large mixing bowl. Add just enough vinaigrette to coat each leaf, sprinkle with a few grains of salt and toss gently. Fold in half of the strawberries and transfer to a serving platter.
3. Sprinkle the salad with the remaining strawberries, followed by the blue cheese and candied walnuts.
1/2 cup Rice vinegar
2 large Shallots, thinly sliced
1. Combine the vinegar and salt in a stainless steel saucepan; bring to a boil. Place the shallots in a glass or stainless steel bowl and pour the hot vinegar over the shallots. Allow to marinate at least an hour. Reserve 3 Tbsp of the vinegar for the vinaigrette
1 each Egg white
2 Tbsp Sugar
½ cup Walnut halves, boiled for one minute
1. Beat the egg white to soft peaks, fold in the sugar. Add just enough of the whites to the walnuts to coat each piece well. Spread out on a non-stick baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown stirring occasionally to ensure even browning.