Child stung by scorpion recovering after anti-venom dose

Posted: Updated:
SURPRISE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

A Valley toddler is recovering after being stung by a scorpion last night.

1-year-old Evelyn Ehrenstrom was stung in her playroom inside her family's home near Loop 303 and Cactus Road. Her mother, Ashley Ehrenstrom, said that Evelyn was unresponsive for 15 minutes after she was stung, then closed her eyes and began to shake and tremble.

Her parents rushed her to the hospital where she was given a dose of anti-venom. The Ehrenstrom family wants their story to act as a warning to other Valley families and raise awareness about the dangers of scorpions in homes.

Warm weather signals a rise in scorpions. Bark scorpions are the most common species found in desert homes, and the only scorpion species in the area whose sting can cause medical problems.

The staff at Banner Poison and Drug Information Center said they have treated more than 1,000 scorpion stings so far this year.

If you or someone you know is stung by a scorpion, call Banner Poison and Drug Information Center at 1-800-222-1222.

For more information about scorpions and how to protect your home, visit bannerhealth.com.