Your Life A to Z Recipe:Friday, March 13th, 2015 The Best Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe Ever! By Chef Lee Hillson
The Best Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe Ever!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 10 mins
Corned Beef and Veggies
· Corned Beef Brisket
· 1 pint amber ale
· 10 small red potatoes
· ½ lb. baby carrots
· 1 head cabbage
· 1 onion
· 1 cup sour cream
· ¼ cup hot cream horseradish
· 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
· 1 tsp white wine vinegar
· Salt and pepper to taste
Corned Beef & Veggies
1. Trim the fat from the corned beef brisket. Place the beef into the stock pot and pour the beer over it. Add enough water to cover the beef by a couple of inches. Bring to a boil. As the water comes to a boil, I like to skim off the foam, so the pot doesn't boil over. That's completely optional, though.
2. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover and turn down the heat. Simmer corned beef for about 50 minutes per pound. For a four pound brisket, that's about 3.5 hours.
3. Prepare horseradish sauce (recipe below), so the flavors can mix for a few hours before dinner.
4. Forty minutes before the corned beef is done, add whole potatoes and carrots. Cover, return to a boil, and simmer about forty minutes until the veggies are tender.
5. Remove corned beef, potatoes, and carrots to a casserole dish or serving platter. Cover with foil and keep warm in the oven.
6. Cut cabbage and onion into wedges. Add cabbage and onion to the pot, which now only contains the cooking liquid from the corned beef. Simmer 15 minutes or until crisp tender.
7. Add cabbage to the platter and serve the entire meal with horseradish sauce.
1. Mix together sour cream, horseradish, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small dish. Refrigerate for several hours. Serve alongside corned beef.