Your Life A to Z Recipe: Thursday, February 19th, 2015: Lamb Stew Couscous by Chef Tony Hamati of Naya Mediterranean CuisinePosted: Updated:
Lamb Stew Couscous
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup water
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound lamb cut into 2 inch cakes
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chick peas
2 carrots, cut into small chunks
2 zucchini, cut into small chunks
4 New Potatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground fennel
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon Chile sauce
1-¼ cup Couscous
1. Sauté the onion in 2 tablespoons of oil for 4 to 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the lamb and pan fry over a moderate heat until entirely brown.
3. Puree the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, and chili sauce in a food processor (or blender) to a smooth paste.
4. Pour the paste over the meat, add chickpeas and 1-cup water, and bring to a boil.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Steam couscous separately, for 5-10 minutes, until no longer grainy
7. Place couscous in a large bowl and stir in the remaining oil and about 3-½ cups water, rubbing the couscous though your fingers to separate the grains. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
8. Add the carrots, zucchini and potatoes to the stew and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
9. Place couscous on a large serving plate, making a dent in the center. Spoon the lamb stew over the top.