Episcopal Diocese of AZ offers 'Ashes to Go'Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- Several churches in The Episcopal Diocese of Arizona will offer "Ashes to Go," a fairly new approach to a centuries-old Christian tradition of Ash Wednesday.
The churches are part of a nationwide movement that has clergy and lay people visiting transit stops, street corners, coffee shops, and college campuses to mark the foreheads of interested passers-by with ashes and invite them to repent of past wrongdoing and seek forgiveness and renewal.
In the Christian tradition, Ash Wednesday marks the start of the holy season of Lent, a time for reflection and repentance in preparation for the celebration of Easter.
- Canterbury Episcopal Campus Ministry: University Union, 9 a.m.-noon; south Campus du Bois Center, 1-4 p.m.
- Church of the Epiphany: Heritage Square, 8:30-9:30 a.m.; Flagstaff Medical Center, 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Resurrection Episcopal Church: Page Avenue and Gilbert Road, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- St. John's: In front of the church, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Incarnation Campus Ministry at ASU Polytechnic; Backus Mall, 8-10:30 a.m.
- St. Andrew's: Garrett's Shopping Center Picnic Area in Rio Rico, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- St. Jude's: Wal-Mart parking lot, 35th Avenue and Bethany Home Road, 10 a.m.-noon
- St. Mary's: Montebello Light Rail station, 7:30-9 am and 4:30-6 p.m.
- Trinity Cathedral: "Release the Fear" statue at Central and Roosevelt, 7:30-9 a.m.; corner of Washington and First Street near Cityscape. 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- St. Andrew's: In front of the Cowboy Artist sculpture in uptown Sedona, 2-4 p.m.
- Episcopal Campus Ministry at ASU: In front of Danforth Chapel on the Tempe Campus, noon-2 p.m.
- Grace St. Paul's: Ronstadt Transit Center, 2-4 p.m.; Himmel Park, 2-4 p.m.
- St. Andrew's: Armory Park on the corner of 12th Street and Sixth Avenue, noon-1 p.m.
- St. Philip's In The Hills: Starbuck's at River and Campbell, 7:30 a.m.-11 a.m.; Northwest YMCA on Shannon, 9-11 a.m.; Raging Sage Coffee Shop on Campbell Avenue, 8-10 a.m.; Rillito River Path, across from Trader Joe's on Campbell, 1:30-4 p.m.
More information about the Ashes to Go movement can be found at www.AshesToGo.org.