Your Life A to Z Recipe: Tuesday, February 10th, 2015 - Lentil Sweet Potato Stew with Quinoa, Tumeric and Cilantro By Chef Chuck WileyPosted: Updated:
Lentil Sweet Potato Stew with Quinoa, Turmeric & Cilantro
Yield: about 6 servings
1 cup Quinoa
2 cups Water
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 small Onion (8oz), small dice
3 stalks Celery, small dice
1 each Carrot, small dice
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 each Sweet potato, (1lb), peeled, small dice
2 tsp Turmeric
To taste Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 qt Vegetable broth (or water)
3/4 cup Red lentils (available in bulk at many grocery stores)
1 each Bay leaf
1 Tbsp Fresh thyme
2 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
1 cup Plain yogurt (preferably Greek style)
2 tsp Lemon zest
2 cups Spinach, cut in strips (chiffonade)
1⁄4 cup Cilantro leaves
1⁄2 cup Toasted pine nuts
1. Combine the quinoa and water in a 2 qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a
simmer, cover and cook on low for 1/2 hour; set aside. (*you can also use a rice cooker)
2. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, celery and carrot; sauté a few
minutes until they begin to soften. Add the garlic, sweet potato, turmeric, salt & pepper.
Sauté a few minutes longer to cook the garlic and toast the spice.
3. Add the vegetable broth to the soup pot and bring to a boil. Add the lentils, bay leaf,
thyme and vinegar; simmer 15-20 minutes until lentils are tender; check seasoning.
4. In the meantime, whisk together the yogurt and lemon zest in a small bowl.
5. Place a 1/3 cup or so of the cooked quinoa in the bottom of an individual serving bowl; top
with 1/3 cup of the spinach. Ladle the hot stew over the spinach and garnish with a dollop
of the lemon yogurt. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and pine nuts.