Candle believed to have caused Phoenix apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX – Firefighters believe a candle caused a fire at a Phoenix apartment Monday morning.

The fire started in the back bedroom of a second-floor apartment near 12th Street and Northern Avenue.

It's believed a candle sitting on a milk crate may have fallen over and started the fire.

"Woke up to smoke detectors and people screaming, 'Call 911, call 911,'" said a woman who lives at the complex. She said she saw flames coming from the back of the apartment and people running.

Firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire. The only damage was in the bedroom.

The people inside the apartment were able to get out and no one was hurt.