Your Life A to Z Recipe: Saturday, January 24th, 2015 - Spicy Chicken and Arizona Citrus Salad with Avocado & Cilantro By Chef Chuck WileyPosted: Updated:
Spicy Chicken and Arizona Citrus Salad with
Avocado & Cilantro
Yield: 4 Servings
4 each Chicken breasts, about 4 oz each, flattened slightly
To taste Kosher salt
To taste Ancho chile powder
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 cups Baby lettuce or Bibb lettuce
2 cups Arugula or Watercress
½ small Sweet red onion, sliced very thin
1 recipe Citrus vinaigrette (recipe follows)
3-4 each Assorted grapefruit, tangerines and / or blood oranges, sectioned
1 each Avocado, peeled, pitted and cut in ¾” chunks
3 Tbsp. Pumpkinseeds, toasted
To taste Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup Cilantro leaves
1. Heat a non-stick skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and chile powder on both sides, add the olive oil to the pan and sear the breasts until golden. Turn, sear the other side, cover and lower the heat. Cook the chicken until it registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
2. Place the lettuce, arugula and onion in a large mixing bowl. Add just enough vinaigrette to coat each leaf, sprinkle with a few grains of salt and toss gently. Divide between four plates.
3. Arrange the citrus sections around the greens, alternating shapes and colors.
4. Slice the chicken into strips against the grain and add to the mixing bowl. Toss with just enough of the vinaigrette to coat and place on top of the lettuce. Arrange the avocado on top of the chicken and drizzle with a little more vinaigrette. Sprinkle the salad with the pumpkinseeds, black pepper and cilantro leaves.
Yield: Approximately 1/3 cup
2 Tbsp Orange juice
2 Tbsp Grapefruit juice
2-3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine citrus juice in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning and acidity.