Flagstaff man severely burned in apartment fire dies

Posted: Updated:

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) -- A Flagstaff man who sustained burns to 75 percent of his body in an apartment fire has died.

The Flagstaff Fire Department says 72-year-old Charles Lunghi was pronounced dead at a local hospital earlier this week.

The Arizona Daily Sun reports that firefighters found Lunghi unconscious on his living room couch Monday.

A fire investigator quickly ruled out arson. Authorities say the fire likely was started by a cigarette Lunghi had been smoking.

The apartment where the fire broke out had a smoke detector, but it was unplugged and the batteries were dead. Fire officials say batteries should be changed at least twice a year.

The damage to the apartment is estimated at $20,000.

RELATED:

Flagstaff man hospitalized after apartment fire