Unattended candle causes Glendale condo fire

Posted: Updated:
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Glendale firefighters believe an unattended candle caused a fire at a condominium Tuesday afternoon.

Crews arrived at the condo near Maryland and 47th avenues and found a fire burning in a bedroom on the second floor.

Firefighters were able to extinguish it before it spread to the remainder of the home.

Glendale Fire Department spokesman Michael Young said the fire likely was caused by a lit candle that was left unattended when the occupant left the residence.

Safety tips:

• Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or going to sleep.

• Keep candles away from items that can burn such as curtains, clothing and paper.

• Use sturdy candleholders that won’t tip over and are large enough to collect dripping wax.

• Place candles in areas where children and pets cannot get near them or tip them.

• Keep candles away from flammable liquids.

• Trim wicks to one-quarter inch.

• Discard candles when wicks are within two inches of the holder.

• Store candles and matches out of a child’s reach.

• Do not use a candle during a power outage, use a flashlight.