Flagstaff man hospitalized after apartment fire

Posted: Updated:

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- A Flagstaff man was hospitalized after firefighters found him unconscious during a fire in his apartment early Monday morning.

Firefighters arrived at the complex on the west side of Flagstaff about 3:17 a.m. and found water flowing from the sprinkler system, a Flagstaff Fire Department spokesman said.

Neighbors told firefighters the man was still inside and a fire crew forced its way into the apartment, crawling through heavy smoke and searching by feel until they found the man on a living room couch, the spokesman said.

Emergency personnel trued to resuscitate him before taking him to Flagstaff Medical Center for further treatment.

Fire crews kept the fire from spreading from the living room. Damage was estimated at $20,000.

The fire was under investigation but appeared to be accidental, the spokesman said.

Though the apartment complex alarm system alerted neighbors, the batteries in the apartment smoke detectors were dead, the spokesman said.