Your Life A to Z Recipe: Tuesday, January 13, 2014 - Farro with White Beans, Eggplant & Chard By Chef Chuck WileyPosted: Updated:
Farro with White Beans, Eggplant & Chard
Yield: 4 servings
3/4 cup Farro
3 cups Water
As needed Kosher salt
2 tsp Lemon zest
8 oz Plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
1 Tbsp Olive oil
½ each Red onion, diced
3 each Japanese eggplant, diced
1 each Red bell pepper, diced
1-1/2 tsp. Rosemary, chopped
1 cup Vegetable stock
2 cups Cooked white beans (or one 15 oz can; drained)
½ bunch Red Chard, cut in bite size pieces (2 cups)
To taste Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
¼ cup Hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
¼ cup Italian parsley
1. Combine the farro, water and a pinch of salt in a 2 qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook on low for 1 hour until tender; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, stir the lemon zest into the yogurt; set aside.
3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add the olive oil and onion; sauté until tender. Add eggplant, red bell pepper and rosemary; lower heat and cook approx. 5 minutes. Add farro; adjust heat to a simmer.
4. Add vegetable stock. Stir in the white beans and chard; wilt briefly and season with salt and pepper. The mixture should have a stew-like consistency.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with grated cheese and a dollop of the lemon yogurt. Sprinkle with hazelnuts and Italian parsley.