Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory (Jan. 9-12)Posted: Updated:
- Eastbound Loop 202 closed in Mesa
- I-10 also closed overnight near downtown Phoenix for tunnel maintenance
PHOENIX -- Freeway-improvement projects will require closures or lane restrictions in the Phoenix area this weekend (Jan. 9-12), according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers are encouraged to allow extra travel time or consider alternate routes while the following scheduled weekend restrictions are in place:
- Eastbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) closed between Loop 101 and Country Club Drive in Mesa from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Jan. 12) for widening project. DETOUR: Alternate eastbound routes include McDowell Rd., Rio Salado Parkway or University Drive.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 closed between the I-17 "Stack" interchange and the State Route 51 "Mini Stack" interchange near downtown Phoenix from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday (Jan. 10) for tunnel maintenance. DETOUR: Eastbound I-10 traffic can detour along southbound I-17 and reconnect with I-10 near Sky Harbor Airport.
- Westbound Interstate 10 closed between the I-17 "Split" interchange and Seventh Avenue from 9 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (Jan. 11) for tunnel maintenance. Southbound SR 51 ramp to westbound I-10 also closed. DETOUR: Westbound I-10 traffic can detour along northbound I-17 starting near Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
- Southbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) narrowed to two lanes between McDonald Drive and McDowell Road from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday (Jan. 11) for widening project. Southbound Loop 101 on- and off-ramps at Chaparral, Indian School and Thomas roads closed. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes, including southbound SR 51.
- McDowell Road closed at Loop 101 from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Sunday (Jan. 11) for bridge work. Loop 101 ramps at McDowell Road will be open with only right turns allowed. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes, including McKellips Road.
- Southbound State Route 143 off-ramp at University Drive closed from 3 a.m. to noon Saturday (Jan. 10) for maintenance work. Southbound SR 143 also narrowed to one between Sky Harbor Boulevard and University Drive. DETOUR: Consider alternate southbound routes, including Priest Drive, to reach University Drive.
- Westbound Interstate 10 ramp to southbound State Route 85 in Buckeye closed from 5 a.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday (Jan. 12) for bridge work. DETOUR: Westbound I-10 drivers can reach southbound SR 85 by exiting at Palo Verde Road and traveling south to eastbound Southern Avenue.
- Westbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane near Watson and Miller roads in Buckeye from 5 a.m. Saturday to 7 p.m. Sunday (Jan. 11) for bridge work. DETOUR: Please consider exiting ahead of restriction and using alternate routes to avoid anticipated traffic backups along I-10.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane in areas between State Route 85 and Verrado Way in Buckeye from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday (Jan. 10) and Sunday (Jan. 11) for lane striping. DETOUR: Please be prepared to slow down and merge safely in work zone.
For a listing of other restrictions for Phoenix-area freeway improvements, including overnight ramp closures, visit www.azdot.gov/OtherClosures.
For a complete list of highway and freeway restrictions around the state visit ADOT's Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1. Sign up for ADOT email updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov. Another great way to find out more about ADOT's projects and programs to improve Arizona's transportation system is the ADOT blog at www.azdot.gov/blog.