Peoria Applebee's evacuated after kitchen catches fire

Posted: Updated:
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver

PEORIA, Ariz. -- An Applebee's restaurant was evacuated during the Saturday lunch rush after a grease fire started in the kitchen, according to the Peoria Fire Department.

When firefighters arrived at the restaurant near 91st and Northern avenues, the fire had extended into the roof, according to Peoria Fire Capt. Kurt Walker.

He said Applebee's employees immediately tried using a fire extinguisher but were unable to put out the flames.

"The staff did a good job getting everybody out," Walker said. "Everybody listened to the warnings on the smoke detectors and got out on their own, so that helped us out a lot and made our job a lot easier to get in there right away and get to work."

Walker estimated about 20 to 30 people were dining at the restaurant at the time. No injuries were reported.

The Glendale and Sun City fire departments also responded.

"Any commercial structure is obviously a high danger because just the size of the building, we have multiple people, we don't know if they're out or not, so we usually send extra personnel for that reason," Walker said.

The restaurant has fire damage to the kitchen and roof along with some smoke damage to the dining area.