Free light rail, bus rides offered for New Year's festivitiesPosted: Updated:
With the New Year's festivities going on around the Valley, Coors Light and Valley Metro are teaming up to ensure that people are able to get around safely.
People can receive free rides on Valley Metro bus and light rail beginning at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, December 31 through the end of regular service.
The Valley Metro Rail will also provide extended service until 2 a.m. to accommodate the holiday festivities.
To get more information on routes and schedules, go to ValleyMetro.org/CelebrateSafe, by calling 1-800-FREE RIDES or by texting “FREE RIDES” to 90464.
Last year, more than 37,000 passengers took advantage of the free rides. In total, Valley Metro saw a 63 percent increase in holiday light rail riders over 2012 and a 36 percent decrease in the number of DUI arrests between Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
Other important information:
- Valley Metro Rail will provide extended service until 2 a.m. to accommodate celebrations. Take the train to Mill Ave/3rd St station for the Tempe NYE Block Party.
- Bus service in Tempe will be extended to serve the New Year’s Eve Block Party on Mill Avenue.
- All other Valley Metro bus routes will operate on a weekday schedule with most service ending between 10 and 11 p.m. Check schedule for exact times.
- Park at any one of the nine Valley Metro Rail park-and-rides to catch the train.
- If you need assistance safely reaching your final destination, call 1-800-TAXICAB or go to www.1800TAXICAB.com. - See more here.