Dogs credited with alerting owners about fire

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Fire destroyed a home but the people and dogs who were inside made it out unharmed.

The home is near Broadway Road and the Loop 101. The fire started at approximately 2:30 a.m. on Thursday morning.

Huge flames could be seen coming through the roof of the home.

The husband and wife who were inside said their barking dogs woke them up and the smoke detectors alerted them to the fire.

The couple only had enough time to grab their dogs and escape the flames through the back of the house.

Firefighters were on the scene for several hours checking for hotspots. They said the initial investigation shows the fire apparently started in the attic and is likely the result of an electrical issue.