Your Life A to Z Recipe: Tuesday, December 16th, 2014: Spiral Vegetable Tart with Bchamel Parmesan Sauce By Mark TarbellPosted: Updated:
Spiral Vegetable Tart with Béchamel Parmesan Sauce
Serves 6 to 8
1 eggplant, peeled
3 large carrots, peeled
1 zucchini squash, peeled
1 puff pastry dough (see below)
Béchamel Sauce (see below)
1. Line a 9" tart pan with pastry crust.
2. Spoon 3 T Béchamel Sauce (without Parmesan mixed in) on bottom of Pastry Crust.
3. Using a vegetable peeler, peel long strips of the vegetables and arrange inside the prepared pastry crust in a spiral pattern.
4. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
5. Place in a 3500 oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until vegetables are richly colored.
6. Let cool slightly before removing from tart pan.
7. To serve, slice into serving wedges and top with desired sauce.
Puff Pastry Dough
(Makes enough for 5 crusts. This recipe is for one tart. Extra dough may be wrapped very tightly in plastic wrap and frozen.)
1 lb unsalted butter
3/4 cup flour
1 T salt
1. Mix ingredients in a food processor until butter is absorbed into flour in pea-sized chunks.
2. Add ice water (about 1/2 cup) until dough is smooth.
3. Place on floured work surface and roll out. Do not overwork the dough.
1 small to medium onion, finely diced
4 whole black peppercorns
1 whole clove
1 bay leaf
2 T flour
2 T butter, unsalted
1/2 cup cream
6 cups milk
1. Set a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and stir until melted; do not let the butter brown.
2. Whisk in flour until completely incorporated to make a roux.
3. Stir in cream until completely incorporated, and lower heat to low to medium low.
4. When mixture has come to a simmer, add remaining ingredients.
5. Simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to coat a spoon.
6. Remove immediately from heat and strain.
7. For this recipe, separate 3 T for each tart you plan to make then proceed to the Parmesan step.
1. After straining Béchamel, while still hot, add 2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese in 1/2 cup increments, stirring smooth before adding more.