Holiday travelers need permits to cross border

Posted: Updated:

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- U.S. Customs and Border Protection is urging Mexican residents visiting the U.S. this holiday season to get an early start on applying for entry permits.
Director of Field Operations William Brooks said Wednesday that all ports of entry are expecting increased traffic over the next two months.

Brooks says Mexican border crossing card holders, or "laser visa" holders, who need I-94 documents should apply now to avoid the rush in the days surrounding the holidays.
The I-94, which costs $6, is a permit essential to visitors traveling more than 25 miles and staying in the U.S. for up to six months.
All family members who will be traveling need to be present during the I-94 application process and must show proof of residency outside the U.S.