More protests erupt in Ferguson; police car torched

Posted: Updated:
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey

FERGUSON, Missouri -- Tensions increased and more protests erupted in Ferguson, Missouri Tuesday night.

Outside City Hall, crowds flipped a police cruiser on its side, broke out its windows, then set it on fire.

Police used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames and many people scattered as additional officers responded to the scene, though many continued to gather near the damaged car.

Officers began ordering the crowd to disperse.

National Guardsmen in full riot gear stood in a line at the Ferguson Police Department. In front of them, a row of police officers waited, also dressed in riot gear. 

Protesters are also gathering in other cities nationwide.

This comes after a night of violent protests Monday, following a grand jury's decision not to indict a white police officer in the killing of unarmed black 18-year-old Michael Brown.

The crowd Monday night erupted in anger, converging on the barricade where police in riot gear were standing. They pushed down the barricade and began pelting police with objects, including a bullhorn. Officers stood their ground.

On Tuesday, firefighters were still dousing the blackened remains of some Ferguson businesses and at least one was still ablaze Tuesday morning. Some stores that escaped fire had their display windows smashed, but the St. Louis suburb's streets were mostly clear.

Monday night's protests were far more destructive than any of those that followed Brown's Aug. 9 death, with more than a dozen businesses badly damaged or destroyed. Authorities reported hearing hundreds of gunshots, which for a time prevented fire crews from fighting the flames.

There were more than 60 arrests in Ferguson overnight, many for burglary and trespassing, St. Louis County Police spokesman Brian Schellman said. There were 21 arrests in St. Louis, where protesters broke some store windows along South Grand Avenue, St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay said

At least 14 people were injured and sought treatment at area hospitals. Two people were admitted to Barnes-Jewish Hospital for undisclosed injuries, and the others were treated and released.

Meanwhile, many area districts canceled classes out of concern for the safety of students traveling to and from school.