PD: Resident dies after driver intentionally crashes into care home

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX -- A resident was killed when a man intentionally crashed his car into a care home in Phoenix on Sunday evening, according to police.

It happened at approximately 6:45 p.m. near 35th Avenue and Deer Valley Road.

Police said a 48-year-old man drove the 2004 white Nissan about 20 to 30 feet into the home. There were seven people inside.

Police said five of those inside were living there with brain injuries, and the other two were their caregivers.

Firefighters took Jeffrey Brumley, 61, to a local hospital where he died.

A witness who had been traveling behind the suspect vehicle reported seeing the vehicle accelerate to a very high rate of speed and then hearing what sounded like a crash shortly thereafter. The witness later found the Nissan had crashed into the home.

The suspect was also evaluated to determine if he was under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. Those results are pending.

He was not seriously injured.

"I was inside in the kitchen doing some cleanup, and I heard a big bang," said Adam Lopez who lives nearby.

Police said initially the driver told them that he intentionally drove through the home to harm himself and that he made unusual and inconsistent statements.

"When our officers came in contact with the driver of this vehicle some of the initial statements were that he had intentionally driven into this house," said Lt. Steve Martos with the Phoenix Police Dept. "Now we're going to be looking at some criminal charges or additional criminal charges related to what he intended to do."

People who know the driver told police the crash may have been a suicide attempt.

The man was arrested and will be booked into jail on homicide and endangerment charges. First, he is being medically evaluated for issues not related to the collision.

His name will be released after he is booked into jail.

Police said the suspect had no connection to the care home.