Your Life A to Z Recipe: Wednesday, November 5th, 2014:Spinach & Persimmon Salad with Sun-dried Cherries, Goat Cheese and Sage CroutonsPosted: Updated:
Spinach & Persimmon Salad with Sun-dried Cherries, Goat Cheese and Sage Croutons
Yield: 4 servings
2 Tbsp Olive oil
12 each Sage leaves, chopped fine
To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices Country white or sourdough bread, cut in ½ inch cubes
1/4 cup Pumpkinseeds
1/2 lb Baby spinach
1 recipe Apple Cider Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
4 each Fuyu persimmons, peeled, each cut in 12 wedges
½ cup Sun-dried cherries, cut in half
4 oz Goat Cheese, crumbled
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the olive oil and sage in a mixing bowl; season with a little salt and pepper and whisk. Toss the bread with the oil-sage mixture and place on a baking sheet; toast in the oven until golden brown. Transfer croutons to another container and spread out the pumpkinseeds on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven until fragrant and puffed; about 5 minutes or so. Sprinkle with a little salt while they are still warm; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, toss the spinach with some of the Apple Cider Vinaigrette and a few grains of salt; add the croutons and toss again. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
3. In the same mixing bowl, combine the persimmon and sun-dried cherries. Drizzle with a little more of the vinaigrette and toss well. Taste and season if necessary. Arrange on top of the spinach.
4. Sprinkle with the goat cheese and toasted pumpkinseeds.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Yield: approx. 1/3 cup
1 small Shallot, chopped
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp Apple Cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
to taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine shallot, mustard and vinegar in a mixing bowl, mix well. Whisk in the oil & taste for seasoning.