Sheraton Hotel remains closed after electrical fire

Posted: Updated:
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver

PHOENIX -- The Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel is expected to be closed through Monday due to an electrical fire.

Hotel spokeswoman Shanna Wolfe said in a statement Sunday that all guests have been relocated to other hotels in the Valley. She said the Sheraton is covering all costs for transportation and new rooms.

"The outpouring of support from city officials, the Phoenix Fire Department and other hotels across Phoenix has been wonderful," said Mike Ehmann, the Sheraton's general manager. "With their help we have been able to move guests with minimal disruption."

Hundreds of guests and hotel staff were evacuated from the building after a fire erupted in the electrical room around 11 a.m. Saturday and produced heavy smoke. Power was cut to the building.

Electricians and city officials are working to repair damage to a panel in the electrical room, Wolfe said.

Guests have been able to collect their belongings and vehicles from the hotel.

Wolfe said the Sheraton is providing buses and shuttles to take its former guests to events at the adjacent Phoenix Convention Center.

Hotel staff is still working with incoming guests.

If you have a reservation at the Sheraton, call 602-262-2500 for assistance.

RELATED:


Fire prompts evacuation of downtown Sheraton Hotel