Chef Dad's Mini Muffin Corn DogsPosted: Updated:
Chef Dad's Mini Muffin Corn Dogs
1 package cornbread mix (your favorite - plus necessary ingredients to make it)*
1 package Hebrew National® hot dogs (seven pack of their long, thin, all-beef dogs)
4 oz. can of diced green chilies (optional)
1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Mini muffin tins
Mustard and ketchup
Slow cooker (optional keep warm server)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Pay no attention to what temp the box instructions for the cornbread say.
2. Cut your hot dogs into 3/4-inch long pieces. A little shorter is fine, but NO longer than that. Set those pieces aside.
3. Make your cornbread mix per the package instructions then add in the diced green chilies and cheese at the end and mix well.
4. Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray. Spoon in or use a pastry bag about 1 tablespoon of mix in each muffin whole. You can eyeball it when that space is just at half full. Put one piece of hot dog (standing up) in the middle of each space. Put in oven and bake for 12-14 minutes or until muffin tops start turning golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for five minutes.
5. You can make these ahead of time or put in a foil-lined crock pot on the "keep warm" setting. If you make them ahead of time, warming them up in the microwave takes about 15-20 seconds. Serve with mustard and ketchup on the side.
Cook's Notes: *Whichever cornbread mix you use, we are looking for about a 4-cup yield to fill approximately 48 mini muffin wholes. If you cut those seven hot dogs into seven equal pieces, you'll get 48 total, which is what we want.